Merton College MS. 4
Former shelfmark: A. 2. 4
ORIGEN, HOMILIES ON O.T. BOOKS, VOL. II; S. XII ex.
On the front pastedown is a table of contents, s. xv in.
CPG 1420; ed. W. A. Baehrens, GCS 29 (1920), pp. 286–463; SChr 71 (1960).
CPG 1421; ed. W. A. Baehrens, GCS 30 (1920), pp. 464–522.
CPG 1423; ed. W. A. Baehrens, GCS 33 (1925), pp. 1–25.
CPG 1437; ed. W. A. Baehrens, GCS 33 (1925), pp. 242–89; Lambert 209.
CPG 1438, 1; PL 25. 585–692; Lambert 212.
CPG 1440; SChr 352 (1989); Lambert 214.
Preceded by his letter to Damasus
CPG 1432; ed. W. A. Baehrens, GCS 33 (1925), pp. 26–60; Stegmüller, Bibl. 6199; Lambert 206.
Ruled with plummet in 2 cols of 43 lines.
One expert English protogothic bookhand.
Large plain red, blue, green or buff initials, except for a 5-line D on f. 30v, blue on a pink ground, with foliage in yellow and orange. Red tituli , diples, and running heads on a separate ruled line.
Late medieval: square-edged oak boards with slightly projecting squares, bared and backed with modern vellum; sewn on four bands. Formerly two narrow straps from recesses in the front board to pins in the back, replaced with catches. Formerly corner bosses on both boards. Rivets and marks of the large iron chain-staple near the foot of the rear board and pastedown. Formerly brass chain-staples at the foredge of the front board, near head and foot. Rust-marks at the foot of the front pastedown and early leaves, near the foredge, may be from a chain-staple used with a previous binding.
Provenance and Acquisition
Doubtless made in an English religious house.
On the front pastedown, s. xv, ‘Liber domus scolarium de Merton’ in Oxon’ ex dono magistri Walteri Rommesbury inceptoris theologie, precentoris in ecclesia Herefordensi, ac quondam prefate domus consocii. Oretis igitur, &c.’. Rammesbury (BRUO 1544–5), fellow in 1360, still in 1381, canon of Hereford from c. 1368, d. before Nov. 1406. He gave new desks to the library in 1394, and MSS 5, 15, 92–3. Also ‘N. 1. 4. Art:’, s. xvii, canc. and replaced with ‘A. 2. 4’ in purple ink, s. xix, and modern ‘(IV.)’ in red; the College bookplate. At the head of f. 1 is the James no. ‘25’ (recte 251), s. xvii in. ‘4’ is inked, upside down, on the foredge.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.
Funding of Cataloguing
Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .
Last Substantive Revision
2018-08-01: First online publication