Merton College MS. 17
Former shelfmark: B. 2. 5
SUBJECT INDEXES TO WORKS OF THEOLOGY AND CANON LAW; S. XIV in.
ff. iii–iv blank. On f. ivv is a table of contents, s. xiv in.
Several alphabetical series, distinguished in the margins and at the head of each col. by letters a, aa, aE, ai, ac—v, va, vE, vi, vo, vb.
1–2 as in MS 12 art. 6; 3 as in MS 38.
Followed by an alphabetical list of the key-words in 4 cols, ff. 150-2. unpr.; Schulte 2. 137-8.
unpr.; Schulte 2. 231. Quaestiones on f. 154v, in faint pencil, s. xiv.
Ruled with crayon in 2 cols of 60 lines.
A single proficient English gothic rotunda bookhand with anglicana forms.
Red and blue flourished initials; blue initials flourished in red; red or blue initials and paraphs; underlining in red.
Standard Merton s. xvii, rebacked and repaired by Maltby; sewn on six bands; formerly chained from the usual position. ff. i-ii, 157-8 are modern blank paper binding leaves. ff. iii-iv and 155-6 are of thick, stiff parchment; iii and 156 were once pastedowns.
Provenance and Acquisition
Probably made commercially at Oxford for its earliest named owner. On f. ivv, s. xiv, ‘Liber quondam M. Ro’, and, in the same hand, ‘Liber quondam M. Roberti de Gillyngham in sacra pagina professoris et uicarii beati Petri in oriente Oxon’. Legatus domui aule de Mertone ad incathenandum in librario eiusdem domus.’ s. xv, ‘Istum librum de nouo ligari fecit Magister Ricardus Scardeburghe anno domini MCCCCLIII. Oretis igitur pro eo et pro parentibus eius’. Gillingham (BRUO 770) was admitted as vicar on the presentation of Merton College 13 May 1338, d. by Jan. 1346. Scarborough (BRUO 1651-2) was fellow c. 1449-at least 1464, d. by Oct. 1472. At the head of f. 2 is the James no. ‘183’, s. xvii in. Inside the front board is a sheet of paper with table of contents, s. xvii, and the College bookplate. On the board itself is ‘N. 2. 5 Art:’, canc. and replaced with ‘B. 2. 5 (XVII)’ in red.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.