Merton College MS. 71
Former shelfmark: K. 2. 6
THOMAS BRADWARDINE; 1369
fol. i blank.
pr. H. Savile (London, 1618) / repr. Frankfurt, 1976; Stegmüller, Sent. 896–8; Sharpe, Handlist, p. 643.
On the originally blank col. b of fol. 4v, in the anglicana hand of Simon Lambourne, is a letter from Bradwardine (headed ‘T. de B.’) to the warden and fellows of Merton: ‘Dilectis fratribus et amicis custodi ac scolaribus aule de Mertone in Oxonia Spiritus Sancti graciam septiformem. Aliquociens accidisse comperi ut in rerum difficilium tractacione ...’, notifying them of his new book. pr. Savile, pp. cxvii-xviii. The same hand copies another in the blank space left on col. b of fol. 266v: ‘Dilectis fratribus et amicis custodi et sociis aule de Mertone in Oxonia Thomas de B. salutem et gratiam in omnibus feliciter prosperandi. Peticioni uestre mox obtemperare uolui ...’, to accompany a copy of his work which he is sending them. pr. Savile, p. 876. Each of the three books begins a new quire; hence fols. 137v-8v are blank (text begun on fol. 138 was scraped off), and so are fols. 200–2v.
fol. 267v is blank.
Ruled with crayon in 2 cols of c. 60 lines.
Written, probably by one variable hand, in a mixture of gothic rotunda bookhand and anglicana.
Books open with large and handsome red and blue flourished initials, with partial borders in the colours. Blue initials flourished in red; red or blue paraphs; running heads in red and blue capitals.
s. xx, Maltby; bare oak boards, backed with vellum; resewn on five bands. On fol. 265v are marks of two clasps at the foredge and one each at head and tail, of a brass chain-staple from the foredge near the head, and of the large iron chain-staple near the foot.
Provenance and Acquisition
On fol. iv‘Liber M. Simonis Lambourn’ prec’ vii marcarum. Scriptus anno Domini mccclxix.’ There is no need to suppose that Lambourne was the scribe; the book is doubtless a professional product and made at Oxford. He does, however, annotate and provide marginal auctoritates. At the foot of fol. 266v, very faint, is ‘Liber domus scolarium de Merton’ in Oxon’ datus per Magistrum ⟨Symonem Lambourn⟩’, s. xv. At the head of fol. 267, probably autograph, is ‘Liber M. Simonis Lambourn’ d⟨atus⟩ aule de Merton’ ad perpetuum usum sociorum eiusdem.’ Lambourne (BRUO 1087) was fellow 1347–61, later canon of Southwell. He left MS 284 to John Bloxham (BRUO 204), and gave MS 306 to the College. On fol. ivis ‘Donavit Bibliothecae Mr. Simon Lambourn’ and ‘N. 6. 5. Art:’, s. xvii, the second canc. and replaced with ‘K. 2. 6 (LXXI)’, in red. Beneath is the College bookplate.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.
Funding of Cataloguing
Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .
Last Substantive Revision
2018-08-01: First online publication