Merton College MS. 84
Former shelfmark: B. 1. 9
ARNOLD OF LIÈGE, GREGORY; S. XIV1
f. iii-iv blank. On f. ivv are three notes of contents, s. xv: ‘Lincoln’ de occulo morali’; ‘Dialogus Gregorii [in fine libri added] / Liber de ammonicione beati Ieronimi presbiteri. Et statim post sequitur expositio ewangelii Ductus est Ihesus in deserto a spiritu. / Alphabetum narracionum cum tabula in fine super eodem’, all lined through; ‘Contenta huius libri per ordinem contentorum / Lincoln’ de oculo morali / Tractatus de ammonicione beati Ieronimi presbiteri. Et statim post sequitur expositio ewangelii ductus est Ihesus in deserto a spiritu. / Item alphabetum narrationum cum tabula in fine super eodem. / Item liber dialogorum Gregorii’. Against the first three items a hand of s. xvi notes ‘defossatae’, of s. xvii ‘Desiderant’. But they were probably still in place in 1600, since they were listed (following this table) as James no. 158.
Probably the same decorator throughout. On ff. 1 and 79 are red and blue initials with 1-sided borders in the colours; plain red or blue initials and paraphs.
Standard Merton s. xvii; sewn on four bands; formerly chained from the usual position. ff. i-ii, 146-7 are paper leaves from this binding, the outermost from a copy of John Sanford, Grammar, or Introduction to the Italian Tongue (Oxford, 1605). An earlier binding had a strap from the front to a pin in the middle of the back board, and a brass chain-staple from the foredge of the front board near the foot. The outermost parchment leaves were formerly pastedowns.
Provenance and Acquisition
On f. 143 a long scrape-mark may be the erasure of an inscription. At the College in 1375 or soon after. On f. iv ‘Liber Willelmi Duraunt legatus domui scolarium de Mertone in Oxon’ et liberatus eidem domui per Iohannem Wendouere executorem eiusdem Willelmi Duraunt; orate pro utroque.’ Duraunt (BRUO 612) was fellow in 1336, warden from 1351 until his death in 1375. Wendover (BRUO 2014) was fellow in 1371, no longer in 1387. On f. 144v are the marks of the large iron chain-staple. At the head of f. 1 is the James no. ‘158’, s. xvii in.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.