Merton College MS. 135
Former shelfmark: L. 1. 7
FRANCIS DE MEYRONNES; S. XV in.
On fol. iv are notes and verses, s. xv, and crude sketches, probably as pen-trials, s. xvi in.
An informal index of quaestiones in an anglicana hand, perhaps that of Richard Redewe (see below).
There are minor dislocations between the stints of the scribes: fols. 71v, 86v are entirely blank.
pr. Venice 1504–7, 1520; Roth, Franz de Mayronis, pp. 87–160, this copy at p. 107; Stegmüller, Sent. 218.
Fols. 335v-9, 340rv blank.
Frame-ruled with crayon in 2 cols; written in c. 54 lines.
Several small anglicana and anglicana-secretary hands.
On fol. 1 a red and blue initial with full border; blue initials flourished in red.
Standard Merton s. xvii, sewn on seven bands; formerly chained from the foredge of the front board, near the foot. The outermost leaves were pastedowns in an earlier binding. Near the foot of fol. 340v are the marks of the large brass chain-staple.
Provenance and Acquisition
At the head of fol. 339v is a partly-erased cautio in the Rede chest of M. Richard Redewe, dated 1434 renewed the following year, with five supplements, specified only by their secundo folios: per elementa, super uenture, dicunt non, clamabat dicens, nec autem sacre. Below is ‘Liber magistri Richardi Ridew collatus collegio de Merton in Oxonia ad communem utilitatem studencium ibidem. Oretis’.
On fol. viv is ‘Liber iste collatus extitit collegio de Mertone Oxon’ per Magistrum Ricardum Redewe prepositum ecclesie collegiate S. Thome martiris de Glaseney in presencia Magistri Thome Chippenham decretorum doctoris et M. Ioh’ Marshall, dominorum Iohannis Renawdone et Iohannis Mabb capellanorum ac Iacobi Davy et Willelmi Bokebynder xvii. die Iunii anno Domini millesimo cccclix.’ Nearby is a monogram, apparently ‘T. de C’. Redewe (BRUO 1560) was fellow in 1414, no longer in 1437, provost of the collegiate church of Glasney, Cornwall, until at least the date of this donation. For Thomas Chippenham, canon and prebendary of Exeter, d. by Feb. 1478, see BRUO 417–18 (this ref. not noted). John Marshall (BRUO 1228–9) was presumably the man who was fellow in 1449, until 1457, d. 1496. He bequeathed eight books to the College, of which only Bodl. Libr., MS Bodl. 4, survives.
On fol. iv, s. xv ex., is ‘Questiones Francisci Maronis super 4or libros sententiarum li. 7us’, showing that the book was in an electio.
At the head of fol. 1 is the James no. ‘37’, s. xvii in.
On fol. i is ‘O. 3. 7. Art:’, s. xvii. Inside the front board are two sheets of paper, one with ‘D. 8, 3’ (canc.) and a title, s. xvii in., the other with ‘O. 3. 7. Art:’ again, canc. and replaced with ‘L. 1. 7 (CXXXVI)’ in red; the College bookplate.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.
Funding of Cataloguing
Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .
Last Substantive Revision
2019-06-11: First online publication