Merton College MS. 145
Former shelfmark: H. 1. 1
JOHN OF DAMASCUS, BOETHIUS, GUNDISSALINUS; S. XIV1
On fol. i is a list of contents, s. xiv, and faint pencil notes; fol. iv blank; on fol. 1rv is a list of quaestiones in pencil, the last ascr. ‘fr(ater) Hugo’. On fol. 1v are two lists of contents, one s. xv, the other s. xvi ex.
ed. E. M. Buytaert (St Bonaventure, NY, 1955). Followed by capitula on fol. 49rv. Annotated in early anglicana hands.
Unpr.; Thomson, Grosseteste, p. 47.
Unpr.; Thomson, Grosseteste, p. 50.
CPG8049, ed. M. Holland, PhD diss. (Harvard University, 1980); Thomson, Grosseteste, p. 51; Sharpe, Handlist, pp. 547–8.
CPL 890–4; ed. and transl. H. F. Stewart and E. K. Rand (London, 1918 / 1973).
Ed. P. Correns, BGPM 1/1 (1891).eTK 1601F
fol. 102b is filled with a draft sermon in a hand of s. xv. On the verso are faint pencil notes. fol. 103rv blank.
Ruled with pencil in 2 cols of 45 lines.
A single low-grade English gothic rotunda bookhand. The scribe provides running heads and corrects his work in the margins.
None: unfilled spaces for painted initials and rubrics.
Standard Merton s. xvii, sewn on four bands; formerly chained from the usual position. The first and last leaves were pastedowns in an earlier binding, which was sewn on five bands.
Provenance and Acquisition
Across the head of fol. 2 is ‘Liber domus scolarium de Mertone in Oxonia ex legato M. Iohannis Reynham sacre pagine professoris et quondam socii eiusdem domus’. For Reynham, fellow 1335–58, see MS 18.
Inside the front board is a sheet of paper with a table of contents, s. xvii.
On the board itself is ‘O. 4. 1. Art:’, canc. and replaced with ‘H. 1. 1 (CXLV)’ in red; the College bookplate.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.
Funding of Cataloguing
Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .
View list of abbreviations and editorial conventions.
Last Substantive Revision
2019-06-20: First online publication