A catalogue of Western manuscripts at the Bodleian Libraries and selected Oxford colleges

Merton College MS. 146

Former shelfmark: F. 2. 2

BARTHOLOMEW OF PISA; S. XIV ex.

Contents

Language(s): Latin

(fols. 1–189v)
BARTHOLOMEW OF PISA OP, Summa de Casibus Conscientiae
Incipit: Quoniam ut ait Gregorius super Ezechiel nullum omnipotenti Deo tale sacrificium est
Incipit: Abbas. Abbas in suo monasterio conferre potest
Explicit: (Yronia) est supra inuidia C. secundo.
Final rubric: Explicit summa de casibus conscientie secundum compilacionem fratris Bartholomei ordinis predicatorum de Pisis Deo sint gracie infinite.

Pr. Speyer, n. d., Cologne 1474 &c.; Schulte 2. 429 and n. 3; Kaeppeli 436; Bloomfield 5052.

On fol. 190rv is ‘Penitencia que non datur secundum canones est falsa ... nisi a pena extra de sen. ex tua. (In another hand) Bartholomeus de casibus’, a series of canons referring to the Decretals.

Fols. 191–2v blank.

Physical Description

Secundo Folio: Potest in
Form: codex
Support: Parchment
Extent: 198 leaves (iii + 195)
Dimensions (leaf): 275 × 180 mm.
Dimensions (written): 220 × 140 mm.
The edges heavily retrimmed, with loss of marginalia, and spattered with red.

Collation

1–248; framed catchwords.

Layout

Frame-ruled with pencil in 2 cols; written in c. 47 lines.

Hand(s)

Several scribes writing anglicana formata.

Decoration

On fol. 1 a red and blue initial with flourishing and 3-sided border in the colours; blue initials flourished in red; red or blue paraphs, red underlining.

Binding

Standard Merton s. xvii, sewn on four bands; formerly chained from the usual position. Fols. i-iii and 193–5 are paper endleaves, the two outermost from the same printed book as in MS 13. On fol. 1 are marks perhaps of two straps and of an iron chain-staple near the foot of the foredge. fol. 192, once a pastedown, has near its foot the marks of the large brass chain-staple.

History

Origin: S. XIV ex. ; script of English appearance.

Provenance and Acquisition

The chain-staple mark suggests that the book was at Merton before the Reformation. It was certainly there by 1556 (UO65. 178).

At the head of fol. 1 is the James no. ‘192’ (recte 189), s. xvii in.

Inside the front board is a sheet of paper with title, s. xvii, ‘F. 6, 5’ (canc.), and ‘O. 4. 2. Art:’, canc. and replaced with ‘H. 2. 12 [corr. to F. 2. 2]’ and ‘CXLVI)’ in red; the College bookplate.

Record Sources

R. M. Thomson, A descriptive catalogue of the medieval manuscripts of Merton College, Oxford (Cambridge: D. S. Brewer), 2009.

Availability

For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.

Bibliography

    Coxe, pp. 62–3; Powicke, no. 1231.

Funding of Cataloguing

Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .

Last Substantive Revision

2019-06-20: First online publication