Merton College MS. 179
Former shelfmark: A. 1. 7
HUGH OF ST CHER ON THE APOCALYPSE; 1449
Fols. iv-ii blank.
Pr. as Thomas Aquinas, in his Opera (Parma, 1869), XXIII, pp. 325–511; Stegmüller, Bibl. 3771, probably genuine: see R. E. Lerner in The Bible in the Medieval World; Essays in Memory of Beryl Smalley, ed. K. Walsh and D. Wood (Oxford, 1985), pp. 157–65.
Ruled with fine pencil in 2 cols of 42 lines.
The neat, professional bookhand, influenced by anglicana, of William Breton.
On fol. 1 an 8-line initial, typical English work, in colours and gold with 3-sided border; blue initials flourished in red; red or blue paraphs; red highlighting.
Contemporary, tawed skin, once pink, over flush, chamfered oak boards; sewn on four bands slightly raised on the spine; blue and plain endbands sewn through the spine cover. Two straps from recesses in the front board to pins in the back, replaced s. xvii with cloth ties. Two pairs of iron nails in the back board and one in the front may be the remains of chain-staples, but not after one of the usual patterns. Formerly chained from the front board, near the foot of the foredge.
Provenance and Acquisition
On fol. i ‘Liber domus scholarium de Merton in Oxon. Ex dono uenerabilium magistrorum Robarti Aubrey et Robarti Feyld ad incathenandum in librario communi eiusdem domus ad perpetuum usum in eadem studentium. Oretis igitur pro animabus eorundem. [In a different hand] Ex procuracione Magistri Goodhew socii eiusdem domus.’ Both hands write humanistica. On fol. iiv ‘Liber domini Roberti Fild.’ Robert Aubrey (BRUO 74) is otherwise unknown. Robert Field (BRUO 682) was fellow of Lincoln College 1503–11; John Goodhew (BRUO 790) was fellow of Merton College in 1493, until 1500. The donation was received on 2 Oct. 1493 (Registrum, p. 175).
‘7’ is inked on the foredge. On the front pastedown are titles, s. xvi and xvii, and ‘O. 7. 7 Art:’, s. xvii, canc. and replaced with ‘A. 1. 7 (CLXXIX)’ in red; the College bookplate.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.
Funding of Cataloguing
Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .
Last Substantive Revision
2019-07-15: First online publication