A catalogue of Western manuscripts at the Bodleian Libraries and selected Oxford colleges

Merton College MS. 205

Former shelfmark: N. 2. 2

TABULA SEPTEM CUSTODIARUM; S. XIII 4/4

Contents

Language(s): Latin

(fols. 1–166v; 167–8v blank.)
Tabula Septem Custodiarum (enlarged version)
Incipit: In principio ...; et hoc exponit beatus Augustinus anagogice quantum ad hoc
Explicit: nisi dicitur ut qui iam in corde uocem sui amoris acceperis &c. Veni Domine Ihesu. Finito libro sit laus et gloria Christo.

fol. 67v blank; fols. 167–8 (former pastedown) blank.

Unpr.; Stegmüller, Bibl. 6942–3 (but see Mynors, Balliol, p. 212); all the known copies are English, mainly from Oxford, where the work was originally compiled: R. H. Rouse and M. A. Rouse, Registrum Anglie de Libris Doctorum et Auctorum Veterum (CBMLC, s. n., 1991), pp. xcviii-cxxvi. The text shares a (lost) common exemplar with Oxford, Magdalen College lat. 150, which contains an amplified version of the original work.

Physical Description

Secundo Folio: -raculum uite
Form: codex
Support: Parchment
Extent: 173 leaves (iii + 170)
Dimensions (leaf): 360 × 245 mm.
Dimensions (written): 280 × 185 mm.
The edges retrimmed and spattered with red.

Collation

112, 2–128, 1310, 14–208, A4(lacks 1–2); framed catchwords.

Layout

Frame-ruled with crayon in 2 cols; written in c. 61 lines. Ruled for chapter references in the margin to fol. 71, sporadically thereafter.

Hand(s)

A single scribe, writing rough anglicana, including marginal chapter references, corrections and additional references, some in decorated boxes. Running heads in a contemporary hand.

Decoration

Blue initials (often omitted) flourished in red; lemmata underlined in red; red or blue paraphs.

Binding

Standard Merton s. xvii, repaired and rebacked; sewn on five bands; formerly chained from the usual position. Fols. i-ii, 169–70 are modern paper binding leaves. fol. iii, a binding leaf, is from the same printed book as in MS 19. On fol. 168, formerly a pastedown in an earlier binding on six bands, are the marks of two foredge clasps.

History

Origin: S. XIII 4/4 ; England, Oxford (?)

Provenance and Acquisition

Probably written at Oxford. It is not known when this book entered the College prior to s. xvii in. ‘2’ is inked on the foredge. Inside the front board is a sheet of paper with contents and ‘F. 4, 4’ (canc.), s. xvii, and ‘P. 1. 2. Art:’, canc. and replaced with ‘N. 2. 2 (CCV)’ in red; the College bookplate.

Record Sources

R. M. Thomson, A descriptive catalogue of the medieval manuscripts of Merton College, Oxford (Cambridge: D. S. Brewer), 2009.

Availability

For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.

Bibliography

    Coxe, p. 80; Powicke, no. 1229; Rouse & Rouse, pp. clxv-clxvi.

Funding of Cataloguing

Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .

Last Substantive Revision

2019-07-31: First online publication