Merton College MS. 229
Former shelfmark: N. 3. 10
AVENZOAR, JOHN OF DAMASCUS; S. XIV 1/4
Fols. ivv-v blank.
Pr. Venice 1490; TKI 406, 751.
Pr. Venice 1479, fols. 1–131v; TKI 1077, 862.
Unpr.; TKI 238; the unique copy.
Annotated throughout (but mainly arts 1–2) in Italian cursive hands, one of which provides running heads. In the margin of f. 119v ‘ut dicit Symon Ianuensis’.
Ruled with pencil in 2 cols of 44 lines.
A single large, proficient Bolognese gothic rotunda bookhand.
Bolognese, mutilated passim. Major initials in colours and gold with borders: f. 1 C enclosing the bust of a doctor, on a squarish gold ground, with 2-sided border, the lower limb mutil., perhaps removing heraldry. On f. 93 a similar initial has been excised, leaving only the top and bottom of the 3-sided border. The same on f. 283, leaving the 3-sided border intact. Smaller initials in the same style, without gold, those on fols. 50v, 78v, 87v, and 211v with busts of physicians;
blue initials flourished in red, red initials flourished in blue or violet; red or blue paraphs. In the margins opposite historiated initials is pencilled the instruction ‘pennello’ (‘painting’).
Standard Merton s. xvii, repaired, rebacked and resewn on four bands; formerly chained from the usual position. Fols. i-ii, 328 are paper binding leaves, the first from the same book as in MS 166. Fols. iii, 327 are modern paper blanks. The outermost parchment leaves were pastedowns in an earlier binding. There was formerly a brass chain-staple near the foot of the front foredge.
Provenance and Acquisition
Made in Bologna.
On f. iv are partly-erased early inscriptions: a long one of 2–3 lines ‘[... xxii ... ] Land’ Petri de colle vallis c[ ... ]’. Further down is ‘Land’ de colle vallis’.
On f. vv ‘Liber Theiser albumeron in practica medicine ex dono domini Ricardi Fitz James nuper Cicestrensis episcopi et custodis istius collegii cuius anime propicietur Deus amen’, in the usual untidy humanistic hand. For Fitzjames, warden 1483–1507, see MS 9.
Inside the front board is a sheet of paper with titles, s. xvii, and ‘P. 2. 12. Art:’, canc. and replaced with ‘N. 3. 10 (CCXXIX)’ in red; the College bookplate. ‘12’ is inked on the foredge.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.
Funding of Cataloguing
Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .
Last Substantive Revision
2019-08-30: First online publication