Merton College MS. 247
Former shelfmark: B. 1. 5
PIERRE BERSUIRE; c. 1450
f. i blank.
Pr. Antwerp 1609; Stegmüller, Bibl. 6426.
On f. 213 the OT ends with ‘Expliciunt figure biblie moralizate’ followed by a passage in a small anglicana hand, ‘Doctor de Lira super Marcum ca. xi querit utrum Christus in predictionibus suis debuit uitare offencionem uel scandalum’. On fols. 213v-14 the same hand writes a longer passage, ‘Queritur super illud Mat. 18 Si peccauerit in te frater tuus corripe eum &c. ...’; f. 214v blank.
Frame-ruled with crayon in 2 cols of c. 50 lines.
A cursive of German or Low Countries type.
Annotated in an anglicana hand; the same or a similar one writes the titles of biblical books as running heads near the top outer corner of each recto.
On f. 1 a 4-line gold initial on square coloured ground with 2-sided foliage border;
blue initials flourished in red; red or blue paraphs, red highlighting. The decoration is omitted from quires 13–18.
s. xv, repaired in modern times; chamfered oak boards with projecting foredges, now bare and rebacked with modern vellum; resewn on six bands. Formerly two straps from recesses in the front board to catches at the back. Formerly chained from the front board, once at the foredge near the foot, again at the foot.
Provenance and Acquisition
Given by William Rumsey, fellow c.1449, still in 1463, for whom see MS 12. The College received the book on 25 May 1493; it was chained in the library on 2 Aug. 1494 (Registrum, pp. 173, 184).
On f. iv is a title, s. xvii, and ‘P. 3. 14. Art:’, canc. and replaced with ‘B. 1. 5 (CCXLVII)’ in red. ‘AD. MCCCXLVI’ is written in modern ink; the College bookplate.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.
Funding of Cataloguing
Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .
View list of abbreviations and editorial conventions.
Last Substantive Revision
2019-10-01: First online publication