Merton College MS. 251
Former shelfmark: C. 1. 13
JOHN SHARPE, ANTONIUS ANDREAE; S. XV in.
Fols. ii-iii blank. On f. iiiv is a table of contents.
Lohr, pp. 279–80; Sharpe, Handlist, pp. 315–16. One of eight copies; unpr. The text is continued in Digby 77, which also contains JOHN CHILMARK, De Actione Elementarum, and FRANCISCUS DE MAYRONIS, De Formalitatibus.
Quires are missing after f. 148, containing text from near the end of Bk. 5 q. 4 to the last question in Bk. 7. Many copies and early printed versions, e.g. Bologna 1471; DSO (Vivès) 5. 400–725, 6. 1–600; Glorieux, Théol. 344aa (as by Duns Scotus); Lohr, pp. 364–5 (wrongly citing the edn. of Wadding); the authorship discussed in DSO (Gál) 3. xxxvii-xlii.
Originally this was followed by the alphabetical subject index now at fols. 73–88v.
The table of contents indicates that this item was originally followed by ‘Tractatus de decem generibus secundum Scotum’, ‘Tractatus de duobus primis principiis secundum rem secundum Burley’ (Sharpe, Handlist, p. 723), ‘Tractatus de tribus in toto uniuerso per se agentibus secundum eundem’ (ibid.), ‘Tractatus de potencia actiua et passiua’ (ibid.), ‘Tractatus Burley de abstractis’ (ibid.).
Frame-ruled with crayon, written in c. 32 long lines.
The small, neat anglicana of Wyke, including the material on f. iiiv.
On fols. 1 and 89 are initials and full borders in colours but yellow instead of gold; blue initials flourished in red; red or blue paraphs.
Standard Merton s. xvii, sewn on four bands; formerly chained from the usual position. f. i is a letter from Neil Ker to H. W. Garrod, dated July 26 1942, identifying Bodl. Libr., MS. Digby 77, fols. 150–97, as part of this MS. On f. ii are the marks of two foredge straps.
Provenance and Acquisition
On f. iiivis a formal inscription, partly erased, and table of contents: ‘Hunc librum prouidit dompnus ⟨Iohannes h … de Wed … solum et⟩ suis beneuolis … sacre theologie baculaur’ anno Domini m. cccc. xxv quem qui alienauerit uel eius titulum hic aut alibi deleuerit anathema sit, predicti Iohannis fortuna prosperitatis non uariata seu ipso non affirmante.’ On f. 89 the decoration includes ornamental words at the head, cropped by the binder, and at the foot, erased. Those at the top seem to make ‘IHOHANNES’, at the foot ‘DICTUS WETH’’.
This may be the book given to the College in 1449 by John Whethamstede (BRUO 2032–4), abbot of St Albans 1420–40, 1450–64 (Appendix B, no. 97), and the copy of ‘Antonius in metaphisica’ bound and chained in 1454–5 (ibid., no. 106). It was certainly there by 1556 (UO65. 264). The destination of the partly erased ex dono will then have been St Albans Abbey itself. In 1563 the relevant part of Digby 77 was in the possession of Thomas Allen (who so inscribed it).
At the head of f. 1, cropped by the binder, is the James no. ‘181’, s. xvii in. Inside the front board is a sheet of paper with titles, s. xvii, and ‘P. 4. 2. Art:’, canc. and replaced with ‘C. 1. 13 (CCLI)’ in red; the College bookplate. ‘2’ is inked on the foredge.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.
Funding of Cataloguing
Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .
Last Substantive Revision
2019-10-01: First online publication