Exeter College MS. 87
Glossarium juridicum; England, s. xvex
One column, c. 45 lines to a full page. Frame ruled in crayon.
Anglicana, with secretary a and r; punctuated by medial (?high) point.
Plain 1/2-line red initials, red paraphs and stroking.
Sewn on three bands between early 19th-century millboards covered with parchment. Three green ties (tapes) remain, one on the front cover and two on the back.
Provenance and Acquisition
There are marginalia and addenda of s. xv. There seems to be no evidence to date the savage destruction of the book but from the way quires, single pages, and parts of pages have been excised, it may be a reasonable deduction that at some time, perhaps in the second quarter of the sixteenth century, when the book had ceased to be cared for properly but its subject-matter had not yet gone out of date, it was plundered by a person or persons who cut out those parts that interested them.
It has no known history until it is recorded in CMA as part of the library of Sir William Glynne, Bart., of Ambrosden, Oxon., d. 1690 ('Glossarium vetus, ordine Alphabetico Mutilat: Membrane. Fol.'), with the majority of whose manuscripts it came to Exeter in 1774 by bequest of Joseph Sandford, formerly a fellow of Exeter and then of Balliol College (Boase1, lxiv). At the top of fol. 1r is the title as above (s. xviii), preceded by the Glynne number '2.' and followed by 'vide Catal: MSS. Glynne Bart.', a reference to the catalogue of Glynne’s books in CMA ii. 49–54, no. 1926.2. 'Glynne 2' is written on the front cover in pencil.
Exeter library identifications are, on the front pastedown, bookplate 3, and ‘Coxe LXXXVII’ (pencil), and on the front cover ‘LXXXVII’ (in pencil).
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Exeter College Library.
Last Substantive Revision
2020-04-29: First online publication