A catalogue of Western manuscripts at the Bodleian Libraries and selected Oxford colleges

University College MS. 78A


Missal, use of Hereford
Language(s): Latin ; Middle English

Physical Description

Form: codex
Support: vellum


"Fine borders, fine and other initials." (Alexander and Temple)


Leather spine, exposed wooden boards (rebacked).


Origin: 15th century, beginning ; England

Provenance and Acquisition

"olim Gul. Rogers, ex hospit. Lincoln. 1668." (Coxe) "Dedication of Hereford Cathedral in the calendar. Dedication of St Dubricius, Whitchurch, Monmouthshire, probably a contemporary addition. Given in 1668 by William Rogers of Painswyck, commoner, fols. 1,7, 227v." (Alexander and Temple) Parish of Whitchurch, Herefordshire (Ker, p. 389).

Record Sources

Summary description based on the following sources.

S. J. Ogilvie-Thomson (ed.), The Index of Middle English Prose VIII: Manuscripts Containing Middle English Prose in Oxford College Libraries (Cambridge, 1991), pp. 108-9


For permission to use images of this manuscript, please contact University College Library: library@univ.ox.ac.uk

Last Substantive Revision

2022-01-13: Record created.