MS. Bodl. 34
Summary Catalogue no.: 1883
Language(s): Middle English, dialect localised to the south-west Midlands. Written in the so-called ‘AB’ language, found also in Cambridge, Corpus Christ College, MS. 402: see Black (1999).
Three leaves missing with loss of text between fols. 7 and 8.
Missing one leaf between fols. 40 and 41, with loss of text.
Missing two leaves, after fol. 80, with loss of text.
25 long lines. Pricked in the outer margins. Ruled in leadpoint; ruling often very faint, with double vertical bounding lines extending the full height of the page, and the first, third, twenty-third and twenty-fifth horizontal lines extending the full width of the page (Muzerelle, formula 2–2/0/101–101/J). Written above top line. Written space c. 115–125 × 75–85 mm.
One scribe writing an early textualis. Fols. 18v-21v corrected by a contemporary scribe.
Initials, and line-fillers in red.
Many initials not filled in.
Several mid-sixteenth-century pen trials and scribbles; see Provenance.
Fol. 52: late sixteenth-century verse paraphrase of St. Juliana, lines 775–9, signed ‘Quoth Maidwell’.
Late 16th or early 17th century binding.
Provenance and Acquisition
For a date c. 1240, see M. Parkes as reported in the Linguistic Atlas of Early Middle English. For the possible Hereford origin see Millett (2011).
Mid-sixteenth-century pen-trials and scribbles (all printed in Ker (1960) pp. xiii-xiv) refer to lesser Herefordshire gentry associated with Tedstone Delamere, Castle Frome, Much Cowarne, and Ledbury.
Presented by him in 1612.
Additional printed descriptions:
Last Substantive Revision
2019-01-29: Description revised.