MS. Bodl. 419
Summary Catalogue no.: 2318
The binding in 1655 was velvet
The title-label, metal bosses, clasps, clasp fittings, and corner-pieces were re-imposed on a leather binding of the 2nd half of the 17th century. The bosses have now disappeared
(For a list of manuscripts with comparable bindings, see MS. Bodl. 218)
Provenance and Acquisition
MS. Bodl. 419 – Part 1 was priced at 10s. 8d. in the 14th century.
Owned by Iohannes Smyth de Conygsby [Coningsby, Lincolnshire], early 15th century
(fol. 208r) 'liber [M. Iohannis] Gigur emptus de Iohanne Smyth de Conygsby', 'precium dimidium marce'. John Gygour (d. 1504) was master of Tattershall college and the donor of several other surviving books (see: MLGB3) and may have given this volume to the college (see below). However, MLGB3 notes that evidence from an inscription of ownership by an individual member of a religious house might not be evidence for institutional ownership.
Tattershall, Lincolnshire, Collegiate church of the Holy Trinity and St Mary the Virgin: visible in the list made in the summer of 1528 by a visitor to Tattershall Collegiate church, where it is recorded as SC314.*8x
Last Substantive Revision
2022-11-16: Description revised to incorporate all the information in the Summary Catalogue (1922)