MS. Bodl. 477
Summary Catalogue no.: 2005
With a prologue: only the first of the two books is here.
Notation (see van Dijk 1957).
Good and other initials. (Pächt and Alexander iii. 283)
Plain white sheepskin on boards, clasp lost, English work of the 14th cent. (?).
Provenance and Acquisition
Osney Abbey: fols. ii and iv contain two (slightly imperfect) 13th cent. Latin lists of charters and groups of charters of property belonging to Oseney abbey, and the ‘.D.’ on fol. iv verso may be an Oseney mark. In a similar hand to that of the second list is a title 'prima pars maiorum sacramentorum Hugonis de Sancto Victore', and a partly erased inscription probably implying that the volume belonged to Oseney. '...... ⟨ex⟩ dono Ricardi de Wrthe canonici nostri', about 1235, for Richard became abbot of Dorchester in 1236.
Windsor, collegiate chapel: pressmark ‘OK’, fol. iv verso. Medieval binding, no chain mark. (MLGB3)
'Thomas Breson', early 16th cent., on the inner front board.
'Thomas Clarke', 16th cent. (fol. iv), to whom the motto 'Aρκει σοι ἡ χάρις μου' [II Cor. 12.9] on fol. 1 may belong.
'D. D. Bibliothecæ Publicæ Oxon. Jo. Dauis S. Th. Doctor Ap. 22º 1616.'
Last Substantive Revision
2020-04-14: Description revised to incorporate all information in SC.