MS. Bodl. 488
Summary Catalogue no.: 2068
Preceded by an address to Henry VII of England by Francesco Portinari, patron of the Hospital. Tr. Katharine Park and John Henderson, ‘“The First Hospital among Christians”: The Ospedale Di Santa Maria Nuova in Early Sixteenth-Century Florence’, Medical History, 35.2 (1991), 164–88.
Humanistic script, tentatively identified by A. de la Mare as Alessandro da Verrazzano (Parks and Henderson, 175–6 n. 44).
Fine historiated border.
Initials. Related to the style of Attavente. (P&A ii. 334, pl. XXXI)
- fol. iii verso: border, left margin, Badges of Henry VII of England among interlaced stems, foliage and flowers.
- fol. 3r: frontpiece framed by a panelled border, decorated with interlaced stems, folliage, flowers, putti and medallions at intervals containing the badges of Henry VII of England and Tudor roses. The panel at the botom of the page contains four angels holding the royal arms and roses.
Green velvet and red silk with gold ornament, English late 16th cent. work, but the velvet is probably part, of the original Italian binding of about 1500
Digital Bodleian (6 images from 35mm slides)
Last Substantive Revision
2020-05-04: Description revised to incorporate all information in SC.