MS. Bodl. 555
Summary Catalogue no.: 2329
Provenance and Acquisition
Merton, Surrey, Augustinian priory of St Mary the Virgin. The fly-leaves are covered with scribbles, partly against women. From a distich it appears that the volume belonged to the Augustinian house at Merton ('Meritona') in Surrey: 'A merito non inmerito meritona vocatur | Nam locus a merito meritorius esse probatur' (fol. 114v, 116v, 117, 118; s. xv). On fol. v v is a copy of a deed of that house of Dec. 1, 1451: also on fol. 114v is a Latin form of admission to an Augustinian house. (See also MLGB3.)
Presented to the Bodleian by dr. William Cotton, bp. of Exeter, in 1605.
Last Substantive Revision
2017-07-01: First online publication.