MS. Canon. Gr. 74
Summary Catalogue no.: 18527
Ornamental strips and decorated initials at the beginnings of homilies. (Hutter iii. 52)
18th century, second half, Italian, Venice, for Canonici: pasteboards; lightly diced brown leather with triple gilt lines and blind-roll tooling around cover-edges; spine with gilt lines and gilt red-leather label; edges stained red; decorative paste-downs raked with a bold red wavy pattern. 327–332 × 224–228 × c. 120 mm. (book closed).
Metal fittings, inherited from an earlier binding: large rosette centrepieces and trefoil- or lily-shaped corner-pieces of brass, flat after removal of small circular domes. Probably from an intermediate binding made in Venice c. 1420 for Antonio Altamura to present in 1422 to the Abbey of San Salvatore, Messina.
Last Substantive Revision
2020-04: Binding description added.