MS. Canon. Ital. 140
Summary Catalogue no.: 20192
17th century, Italian (as MS.): thin pasteboards covered by reddish-brown leather, undecorated except for circles scratched later on the back; paste-downs formed from the first and last sides of the maps (pp. 1, 6); holes for two lost pairs of fore-edge ties, with other marks perhaps indicating some further lost fastening(s) or fitting(s). The middle chart of the Mediterranean Sea (pp. 3–4) extends onto a neck (folded flap) with a roundel depicting the Virgin and Child. 435–438 × 272–274 × c. 11–12 mm. (book closed).
Provenance and Acquisition
Dated 16th century in the Quarto catalogue, but Richard Pflederer and A companion to Mediterranean History (eds. Peregrine Horden, Sharon Kinoshita, 2014), attribute the portolan maps to Placido Caloiro e Oliva (fl. at Messina, 1621–1665).
Purchased by the Bodleian in 1817
Last Substantive Revision
2020-07-21: Binding description added.