A catalogue of Western manuscripts at the Bodleian Libraries and selected Oxford colleges

MS. Canon. Liturg. 197

Summary Catalogue no.: 19310

Contents

Missal, Use of Rome

Calendar (fol. 1); temporale (fol. 7) with general rubrics (fol. 115) and order of the mass (fol. 115v: Paratus sacerdos); sanctorale (fol. 173v), ending with the masses ad sponsam benedicendam (fol. 219) and contra epydemiam; blessing of holy water (fol. 221); common of the saints and the dedication (fol. 223c); votive masses (fol. 244).

Language(s): Latin

Physical Description

Form: codex
Support: parchment
Extent: ii + 4 + 262 (265) + 6 + ii fol.
Dimensions (leaf): 240 × 180 mm.
Dimensions (written): 142 × 112 mm.

Layout

2 col. of 29 lines

Musical Notation:

Square notation on 7 staves of 3 or 4 red lines.

Decoration

Fine miniatures, borders, initials. (P&A ii. 561, pl. LII)

Initials and coloured borders (fols. 16v, 21, 22, etc.); at the beginning of the canon (125) a miniature of the Last Supper.

History

Origin: c. 1471-1484 ; Italian, Venice

Provenance and Acquisition

Pietro dei Bruti, bishop of Croya (1471) and Cattaro (1474), d. 1493: arms, titlepage (see fol. 21v): Per bend or and azure with 8 stars counterchanged, and between the col. the text ARMA DEI BRUTI ANTICA ROMANESCA FONDATA SEY (?) IN LA CITA D’ CAPO. In the Exultet (fol. 104v) and the Bidding Prayers of Good Friday (fol. 95) are mentioned a pope S[ixtus IV] and the emperor F[rederick IV]. Pietro dei Bruti became bishop of Croja in the year of pope Sixtus’ election.

Cardinal Giovanni Battista de Zeno of Venica (1468-1501): full-page arms, fol. 7v full-page arms of , added on a blank leaf.

Record Sources

Adapted (2018) from S. J. P. Van Dijk, Handlist of the Latin Liturgical Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford (typescript) Vol. 1: Mass Books; Pächt and Alexander; and the Summary Catalogue.

Digital Images

Digital Bodleian (1 image from 35mm slides)

Bibliography

    Otto Pächt and J. J. G. Alexander, Illuminated Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford, II (1970), no. 561