MS. Canon. Liturg. 322
Summary Catalogue no.: 19411
A composite binding of early boards, reused with later leather:
14th century, late, or 15th century, Italian: wood boards with inside bevel, and an indentation under the later leather at centre fore-edge (inside), perhaps from a fitting for a single clasp. Fols. 133–134 were perhaps the endleaves for this binding: a discoloured bifolium containing fragments of Disticha Catonis (II. 5–III. 9) and of a Latin grammatical text, 14th century, Italian.
18th century, Italian, a standard style of the Canonici collection, reusing the earlier boards: lightish brown diced leather, blind-tooled with lines and rolls to form two outer frames and an inner diamond shape without centrepieces; no clasp(s) allowed for by this leather; blue and white marbled endleaves; edges plain. 253 × 167–171 × c. 50–56 mm. (book closed).
Provenance and Acquisition
Given in 1392 by Francescho fijolo de Matteo de Santo Pero to the fraternity of Santa Maria del Domo, Verona (?): 'A honoro dela diuina maiesta Pare e fijolo e spito sancto. E fo di de domenega iiij dauosto de Mºcccºlxxxxij. Che francescho fijolo de Matteo (?) bondane chalce (?) de santo Pero in Carnaro Sedona (?) questo libro ala disciplina di Fratta (?) de madona santa Maria dal (?) domo. Dela contra de santa Maria la frata per celebrar mese e altri ofici che ge suxo' (fol. 2b, partly erased).
Last Substantive Revision
2020-02-20: Andrew Dunning based on corrections by Bruce Barker-Benfield.