MS. Digby 23
Summary Catalogue no.: 1624
Standard binding of the Digby collection, between 1632 and 1634: light brown leather, stamped on each cover in gilt with the large armorial stamp of Sir Kenelm Digby, with his arms in a laurel leaf within a pointed oval frame which carries the legend ‘INSIGNIA KENELMI DIGBY EQVITIS AURATI’; two clasps.
Provenance and Acquisition
Both parts of the manuscript were demonstrably together in Thomas Allen's library (octavo section, no. 48: ‘Timaeus Platonis Lat: cum Romances Gallicis metro’). Whether they were together previously is uncertain. Possible evidence in favour of an earlier association is provided by matching rust stains and holes on part 1, fol. 1 and part 2, fol. 76 which may suggest a shared earlier binding. Samaran and Parkes believed that the word 'Chalcidiu[s]' in thirteenth-century script could be read on part 2, fol. 72r, which would suggest that the two parts had been together since the thirteenth century.
Against this must be set other arguments: the title on part 1, fol. 2r (thirteenth century, second half according to Ker) refers only to the Timaeus; and the added text at the end of part 1, fol. 55v, mid-14th century, would seem to suggest that this page was then the end of a volume. Worm-damage at the beginning of part 2 indicates that it was separately bound at some stage.
Kenelm Digby: his signature and motto, fol. 2r, ‘Vindica te tibi / Ken: Digby’.
Presented by him to the Bodleian in 1634.
Printed descriptions, editions and facsimiles:
Last Substantive Revision
2017-05-29: James Cummings Up-converted the markup using https://github.com/jamescummings/Bodleian-msDesc-ODD/blob/master/convertTolkien2Bodley.xsl