MS. Douce 389
Summary Catalogue no.: 21964
East is at the top. A version of the ‘large Burchard map’ (P. D. A. Harvey, Medieval maps of the Holy Land (2012), 94-106), with inscriptions deriving from Burchard of Mount Sion, Descriptio terrae sanctae. A table of distances at the north (left) side of the map derives partly from Rorgo Fretellus, Liber locorum sanctorum terrae Ierusalem, partly from an unknown source or sources; English translation of this list in P. Arad, ‘Pilgrimage, cartography, and devotion: William Wey's map of the Holy Land’, Viator 43 (2012), 318-19.
One scribe (Harvey, p. 137).
Coloured map. (P&A iii. 751)
Each membrane by a different draughtsman (Harvey, pp. 137, 139-40).
Provenance and Acquisition
Sometimes identified with the ‘mappa of the holy lond’ owned by the 15th-century pilgrim William Wey, but it corresponds only in part to the map described by Wey (Harvey, pp. 138-9; cf. Arad, 309-14 for the contraary argument).
Francis Douce, 1757-1834; acquired at an unknown date.
Bequeathed to the Bodleian in 1834
Last Substantive Revision
2019-08-01: Record revised to accompany Digital Bodleian record