A catalogue of Western manuscripts at the Bodleian Libraries and selected Oxford colleges

MS. Auct. D. 4. 8

Summary Catalogue no.: 4086

Contents

Bible.

Preceded by:

Epistle and Gospel list (monastic)

Temporale (fol. 6); sanctorale (fol. 9v); dedication and votive masses (fol. 11), masses for the dead (fol. 11) and common of the saints (fol. 11). Incipits only.

Language(s): Latin

Physical Description

Form: codex
Support: parchment
Extent: 714 leaves
Dimensions (leaf): 208 × 140 mm.
Dimensions (written): 177 × 92 mm.

Layout

2 col. of 36 lines

Decoration

Fine historiated borders and initials. (P&A iii. 444, pl. XL)

Binding

Brown leather with gold ornament, strings cut off, Oxford work of about 1610.

History

Origin: c. 1240-1250 ; English

Provenance and Acquisition

Given to Norwich Cathedral by Magister Ricardus de Felningham, 14th cent.

Norwich 15th-cent. press-mark 'E : xliij'.

'Qui stat vide ne cadat quoth Kervyle', 16th cent., fol. 12v.

Owned in 1610 by Henry Fowler, rector of Minchinhampton.

Given by him in 1626 to 'Thomas Windesor', 6th lord Windsor of Stanwell (d. 1641), his name and motto on fol. 2.

Probably acquired from him by Christopher, first lord Hatton.

Purchased by the Bodleian in 1671 from Robert Scot, who had purchased part of Hatton's library.

Record Sources

S. J. P. Van Dijk, Handlist of the Latin Liturgical Manuscripts in the Bodleian Library Oxford : Vol. 1: Mass Books (typescript, 1957) (fols. 6-11); Pächt and Alexander (see Bibliography). Previously described in the Summary Catalogue.

Digital Images

Digital Bodleian (99 images from 35mm slides)

Bibliography