MS. Eng. th. d. 36
Summary Catalogue no.: Not in SC (late accession)
Ends imperf. at the beginning of the tenth precept; preceded (fol.10) by a table of contents of which only the last leaf remains. The prefatory section ‘Of holy poverte’ (fol.11 – 17) is in the version found also in Lichfield Cathedral MS. 5. This MS. was used by Pynson for his edition of 1493, and the text has been marked off in sections corresponding to the pages of the edition; see M.Morgan, The Library, 5th ser., vol.8, pp. 217 – 228, with reproductions.
2 cols., 37 lines
Red and blue initials with penwork. Smaller plain blue initials.
18th cent. rough calf binding.
Provenance and Acquisition
Inscribed 'Miles Barne' (fol. 148r) (rector of Lyminge, early 17th cent.)
Inscribed 'William C' in a flourished 18th(?)-cent. hand on fol. 219v
With a cutting from a Sotheby's sale catalogue pasted to the upper pastedown, describing the MS. as of the 14th cent.
Bertram, 4th Earl of Ashburnham (1797-1878)
Henry Yates Thompson, aquired as part of the Ashburnham Appendix in May 1897, and with his bookplate inscribed 'From the Library | of the | Earl of Ashburnham | Appendix N o...... | May 1897.', the gap inscribed in purple crayon with the Appendix number 'CXLII', and in the lower right corner '80'; resold at Sotheby's 1 May 1899, lot 90
Quaritch (?) inscribed in pencil '55' within a box in the lower left corner of fol. ir
Sir Robert Leicester Harmsworth: sold by the Harmsworth Trust at Sotheby's, 16 Oct. 1945, lot 2055, with a cutting from the sale catalogue pasted to the upper pastedown, bought by Maggs, for £92
Inscribed in pencil '5 [or S[otheby's]?]/10/45' on the lower pastedown
Inscribed in pencil '19/5/53' ?? on the lower pastedown
Maggs Bros., 1950
Various other pencil inscription on the pastedowns and flyleaves
Inscribed in pencil by the Bodleian 'P.[urchased] 10.vi.50' in the lower left corner of fol. ir