MS. Auct. D. 5. 14
Summary Catalogue no.: 1849
With the prologues of st. Jerome, and (at fol. 534) 'Interpretaciones Hebraicorum nominum': the New Testament begins on fol. 427. An early 14th century memoria technica for the books of the Bible is at fol. 578v, and a rough mappa mundi (early 15th century?) on fol. ii verso, and there are other notes, partly erased.
Good historiated initials.
Map. (P&A iii. 476, pl. XLVII)
Reddish leather on boards, stamped with gold ornament, late 16th century Oxford work.
Traces of an earlier binding.
Provenance and Acquisition
'Edyndon̄ liber' (15th cent.) shows that this volume belonged to the house of Bonhommes at Edington in Wiltshire.
Notes on fol. 578v show that this book was deposited by William Newton, a Bonhomme, as a pledge in the Langton chest at Oxford in 1463 and 1465.
In the 16th cent. 'James Mathewe clerk' owned or used the book (fol. 257v).
This appears to be the 'Biblia Lat.' given by sir Walter Cope in 1602, but proof is lacking.
It was certainly in the Library in 1605.
Digital Bodleian (2 images from 35mm slides)
Last Substantive Revision
2020-03-19: Description revised to include all information in SC.