MS. Hamilton 48
Summary Catalogue no.: 24478
Johannes Hagen on Ruth, Judges, Deuteronomy; Nicholas Lyra on Joshua, Judges and Ruth. A-C Germany (in part Erfurt), 15th century, third quarter (in part 1458)
Blind-stamped half-leather binding, late fifteenth century, with part of contemporary contents label; boards replaced. The stamp is lily in rhombus, perhaps Einbanddatenbank s010185 The original front board, with the remains of the original contents label, is now kept as MS. Hamilton 48*.
Fragments removed from this manuscript are now: MS. Lat. liturg. d. 16, fol. 37 (fol. '292' of this ms.), fols. 49–50; MS. Lat. misc. c. 17, fols. 53–5.
Provenance and Acquisition
Erfurt, Carthusian abbey: ex libris on fols. 1r, 6r, fol. 215r; pressmark VIII.C on the upper board (MS. Hamilton 48*). Identifiable as C8 in the late-fifteenth-century library catalogue (ed. P. Lehmann, p. 280).
Friedrich Gottlieb Julius von Bülow, 1760-?1831, 385 in the catalogue of part 3 of his sale, 10 Oct. 1836.
Sir William Hamilton, 1788–1856
Presented to the Bodleian Library by his sons and received in 1857.
MS. Hamilton 48 – Part A (fols. 1–5, [6r], [276v], 277–291)
Originally covering only fols. 6r-214v and 215r-276; entries for fols. 1r-6r and 277r-291r were added by Johannes Hagen, followed by a note that the 'exposicio quadruplex' on Judges and Ruth is to be found in another volume (C11 in the catalogue of the Erfurt Carthusians); followed immediately by the next item.
Attributed to Hagen in the library catalogue of the Erfurt Carthusians.
Fol. 291v blank.
1 col., c. 43–5 lines, no ruling, text fills the whole area of the page.
Hybrida currens by Johannes Hagen (except for the earlier table on contents on fol. 1r).
Written after part C and while Hagen was at Erfurt.
MS. Hamilton 48 – Part B (fols. 6–214)
Attributed to Hagen in the table of contents and the Erfurt Carthusians' library catalogue. At fol. 214r is a note in Hagen's hand asking for any errors in the text to be excused and corrected 'quia velociter in cura pastorali hec collecta sunt'. Running-heads perhaps added by Hagen and some corrections perhaps also in his hand.
1 col., c. 31–33 lines. Fols. 6r-96v, no ruling visible; fols 97r-214v, frame-ruled. Written space 155 × 100 mm.
Cursive by two hands (fols. 6r-96v, 97r-214v).
4-line initial in the ink of the text, fol. 6r.
3-line red initial with simple arabesque decoration, fol. 7r.
Elsewhere spaces for 2-line initials not filled in.
Headings in the ink of the text; occasional underlining in leadpoint, in ink only on fols. 28v-30r
Written after 1455 (the date of the work) and before 1475, the date of Hagen's death. The work was composed while Hagen was prior of Eisenach and this copy need not have been made at Erfurt.
MS. Hamilton 48 – Part C (fols. 215–276)
1 col., c. 35–37 lines, written space 170–80 × 110–120 mm. Frame-ruled in ink with horizontal bounding lines only.
Cursive by one hand, written at the Carthusian abbey in Erfurt by Andreas Syfridi of Zerbst near Dessau (see colophon).
'Flex' punctuation; the punctuation re-worked, and corrections to the text, in red.
3-line initials in red or red-and-black, with yellow wash, sometimes with arabesque or 'silhouette' decoration.
Running heads; lemmata underlined.
Digital Bodleian (full digital facsimile)
View list of abbreviations and editorial conventions.
Last Substantive Revision
2020-09-30: Description finalized for Polonsky German project.