MS. Lat. liturg. e. 39
Summary Catalogue no.: Not in SC (late accession)
32 written lines, below top line; or 11 lines of text and 11 staves of music; in 2 columns
Square notation on staves of four red lines
Fine miniature, borders, historiated and other initials. By the Master of the Queen Mary Psalter and his workshop. (P&A iii. 543, pl. LIV)
Seven fine historiated initials:
- (fol. 1r) 'S'[iluester] with St. Silvester addressing four men.
- (fol. ***) 'C'[elebritatem] with St. Paul on the road to Damascus.
- (fol. 88v) 'P'[eracta] with the Martyrdon of St. Lawrence.
- (fol. 108v) 'H'[odie] with the Nativity of the Virgin; rubbed.
- (fol. 118v) 'C'[(recte E)rant] with St. Matthew writing, his symbol above.
- (fol. 125v) 'N'[ouem] with St. Michael.
- (fol. 147v) 'G'[loria] with a Gnadenstuhl Trinity surrounded by the Evangelist symbols.
18th(?)-cent. diced brown leather over pasteboards, repaired in the 19th-cent.(?) as a cased-binding; the spine lettered in gilt 'OFFICIVM | SANCTOR.'; the text-block almost detached from the binding
Provenance and Acquisition
Chertsey Abbey: (1)Calendar in MS. Lat. liturg. e. 6 with obits of the abbots from Bertram (d. 1197 (?)) to Bartholomaeus (d. 1307) entered in the original hand; (2) Litany in MS. Lat. liturg. e. 6 in which SS. Beccanus and Edor follow St. Benedict; (3) emphasis on St. Erkenwald, founder of the abbey, with special feasts for his octave, 30th April, fols. 38v,-39, 42v, 44 of the present MS.
'William Matthews', written on a flyleaf with the watermark 1825
Rt. Hon. Beresford Hope (1820-87), with his bookplate, and an erased shelfmark (?) 'T-3' (fol. i verso) as in manuscripts from the Hopetoun collection, in his sale at Sotheby's, 23 March 1882, lot 167
Sotheby's, 29 July 1946, lot 108, bought by Francis Edwards
Acquired by the Bodleian from him in the same year.
Last Substantive Revision
2017-07-01: First online publication.