MS. Lat. liturg. e. 41
Summary Catalogue no.: Not in SC (late accession)
Includes: 13 Feb., St. Ermenilda; 16 March and 8 July, feast of St. Wythburga and transl. of her relies; 2 Oct., St. Thomas of Hereford (canonised 1317); 17 Oct., transl. of St. Etheldreda in red. There are three 15th – 16th cent. additions: 30 April, ‘Sancti Erkenwaldi abbas [sic] de Chertesey’; 24 Oct., ‘Sancti Beccani monachi de Chertesey’ (i.e. Beocca, abbot of Chertsey) both in red, and 3 Nov., St. Winifred (feast introd. into England 1391).
Office of the Virgin, with hours of the Cross worked in
The suffrages following Lauds include (fol.34) a prayer concerning relics of the saints.
Psalms (Ps. cxix, cxxxi–iii, cl);
Litany and collects
Followed (fol.82v) by verse In omni tribulacione (cf. Horae Eborac., p.135). St. Botulph is included in the litany.
12 lines ruled in red ink, with an extra pair of framing lines in the outer margins
Fine miniatures, borders, initials. By a main hand with assistants. (P&A 652, pl. LXVI-LXVII)
(fol.7) Annunciation. In border, to left and right, kneeling knights, the one on the left wearing a surcoat with the arms of Zouche (gules, bezanty with a canton ermine). The Zouche arms also occur on fol.18 (without the canton), 44v, 53, 59. Arms at the four corners of the border: top left, royal arms of England as borne by Edward III after 1339; top right, royal arms of England with a label of five points, as borne until 1351 by Henry, earl of Lancaster; bottom left, indecipherable; bottom right, badly rubbed, but apparently Zouche as above
(fol.18) Nativity, with small miniature of the Three Kings in left hand border
(fol.35v) Kiss of Judas
(fol.40v) Christ before Pilate
(fol.44) Christ carrying the cross
(fol.44v) Coronation of the Virgin, with small miniature of angel playing harp in left hand border
(fol.50) risen Christ and Mary Magdalene
(fol.53) Virgin and Child
(fol.59) Christ in majesty, in bottom border shield with instruments of the Passion.
19th cent. binding preserved; re-bound 1997
Provenance and Acquisition
Kneeling knight with arms of Zouche, probably made for William, second Lord Zouche of Harringworth who served in France from 1344 to 1347 under Henry earl (later duke) of Lancaster (cf. arms on fol. 7). SS. Ermenilda, Wythburg, Etheldreda, and Botulph suggest an Ely connection; the Zouche family had lands in Cambridgeshire
Chertsey Abbey (?) (additions to the Calendar)
Deed of transfer of property in Devon from Peter Woodleigh to George Ford, 1568 (?)
R. D. Waddilove, dean of Ripon
His son, W. J. D. Waddilove
Bought at Sotheby's 16 Dec. 1970, lot 42
Digital Bodleian (3 images from 35mm slides)