MS. Lat. th. b. 4
Summary Catalogue no.: Not in SC (late accession)
With apparatus of Bernard of Parma
For an account of this MS.and its relations to other MSS. cf. Eng. Hist. Rev. LX (1945), pp.97–105. At the end of the text (fol.216v) is ‘Expliciunt decretales domini Bertrandi in prima parte et in secunda’, and at the end of the glossa ‘Ego Leonardus de Gropis ⟨civis⟩ Mutine huius apparatum in hanc compilationem decretalium fideliter scripsi. In Christi nomine die ⟨Mer⟩curii xii intrante Julio.In millesimo ccxli’. There is a second stratum of glosses, not much later, taken from the lectures of Willelmus Naso. There is a reference on fol.101 to a reading of a ‘MSta Gemblacensis’ (17th cent.)
Text: 2 cols., 46-8 lines
Gloss: 2 cols., variable (105+ in places)
Fine miniatures, borders, initials. Historiated penwork borders. (P&A ii. 73, pl. VI)
Fine miniatures in colours and gold at the start of the five books (fols. 1r, 54r, 101r, 151v, 168r).
Fine red and blue penwork decoration, often extending from two-line initials, includes birds, animals, dragons, human-headed hybrid creatures (see. e.g. fol. 113v), etc.
Sewn on eight double/split bands and bound in (?)18th-cent. reddish-brown leather over pasteboards; the spine stamped in gilt with foliate ornament, the second and third compartments with matching leather title pieces lettered in gilt 'GREGORII | IX | DECRETALIA || CODEX MSS | IN | MEMBR:'
Provenance and Acquisition
Written by Leonardus de Gropius of Modena in 1241
This MS or its exemplar belonged to Dominus Bertrandus
In Spain, 15th century (?)
Richard le Poer-Trench, 2nd earl of Clancarty, his sale, Sotheby's 2 Sept. 1894, lot 95, bought by Leighton for £19 11s.
Richard Bennett, sale, Sotheby's 7 Dec. 1898, lot 560, bought by Quaritch for £24
T. De Marinis & Co., Florence, sale cat. X, 1909, no. 231, pl. III
Bought by the Bodleian from Quaritch, cat. 594, no. 16, 1942
Digital Bodleian (15 images from 35mm slides)
Last Substantive Revision
2017-07-01: First online publication.