MS. Lat. th. c. 14
Summary Catalogue no.: Not in SC (late accession)
Here anonymous; as pr. P.L.172 cols.347–496, without the dedicatory epistle, and concluding with six verses:
2 cols., 86 lines
Fine border, historiated and other initials. (P&A ii. 447, pl. XLIII)
Illuminated initial (fol.5), showing a kneeling crowned female figure, and in the top right corner the head of God the Father appearing in a cloud, with the words ‘Ecclesia sancta Christi sponsa.’ The illumination extends into the left-hand border and there are twelve smaller illuminated initials on gold backgrounds on fols.1, 14, 21, 27, 35v, 37v, 43, 46v, 48, 55v, 64v, the rest red and blue flourished. The lemmata are in large red letters
modern vellum binding.
Provenance and Acquisition
At the top of fol.1 a 16th cent. hand has added ‘Expositio Irrefragabilis Doctoris Alexandri de Ales in Cantica Canticorum Salomonis’, and a similar ascription is added at fol.65.
cross and 'A 202', 16th century (?)
Monogram 'GBR' (?) (=Giovan Battista Recanti?, the Venetian bibliophile, d. 1734)
A spine label is covered by a Bodleian label
L. S. Olschki, Venice (bookplate); bought from Sotheran, 1950.
Digital Bodleian (3 images from 35mm slides)
Last Substantive Revision
2017-07-01: First online publication.