MS. Lat. th. e. 40
Summary Catalogue no.: Not in SC (late accession)
16th-century list of contents, including a 'Sermo de corpore ... Christi', formerly at the end of the manuscript, now missing.
here written as prose (pr. PL, CLXXI, col. 1411).
2 cols., 43 lines; written below top line
Written by ' Gichars '
Good historiated initials. (P&A i. 533)
Seven historiated initals, in blue, white, carmine and burnished gold:
- (fol. 22r) A bishop with book addressing a clerk.
- (fol. 37r) St. Augustine with a book.
- (fol. 103r) St. Francis preaching to friars.
- (fol. 126v) Christ seated with an orb, blessing.
- (fol. 130v) Ps. 109: Last Judgment.
- (fol. 132r) Virgin and Child.
- (fol. 133r) The Decollation of St. John the Baptist, badly flaked.
Directions to the illuminator survive as follows: 'diaconus' (fol. 22r); 'Augut[inus]' (fol. 37r); 'Joh[an]es' (fol. 133r).
Other initials in red with blue flourishing or vice versa.
19th cent. calf binding with the arms of the Signet library
Provenance and Acquisition
Colophon in French by the scribe Gichars: 'De dame deu de gloire qui en la croiz fu mis / Soit sire Gichars benoit [corrected to benoiz] et a bone fin pris / Amen amen chascuns en die / Que dex otroit a sarme vie / Totes les foiz que il regardera en cest livre / De toz maus soit il delivre' (fol. 101v)
Inscribed 'Iste [liber] est ... [remainder thoroughly erased]' (fol. iii verso).
Sotheby's 1 Nov. 1960, lot 2411; bought from Quaritch, 1961.