MS. Laud Misc. 132
Summary Catalogue no.: 1565
Augustine, Enarrationes in Psalmos 119-133; Germany (Lorsch), 9th century, first half
Rubric for Ps. 133 omitted, fol. 73v.
2 cols., of typically 35-7 lines, 39 in quire 1 and 33 in quire 2. Ruled space 208-17 × 190-5 mm. , with c. 22-5 mm. between columns.
Contemporary running heads throughout.
Caroline minuscule by more than one hand; fols. 1v-7v discussed by Sidney Tibbetts as an example of praescriptio, with short passages written by a 'master' followed by passages by 'students': 'Praescriptiones, Student Scribes and the Carolingian Scriptorium', La collaboration dans la production de l’écrit médiéval, ed. Herrad Spilling (Paris, 2003), 25-38 at 29-31.
Rubrics in uncial.
Rubrics mostly in red.
2- or 3-line initials in plain ink or (less usually) red.
Contemporary and later corrections, marginal and interlinear; extensive alteratations to punctuation, especially in the earlier sections.
A standard binding of the Laudian collection, calf over pasteboards, with Laud's arms in gilt on each cover; rebacked.
Provenance and Acquisition
Lorsch, Benedictine abbey: identifiable in the Lorsch library catalogues B, Ca and D (A. Häse, Mittelalterliche Bücherverzeichnisse aus Kloster Lorsch. Einleitung, Edition und Kommentar (2002), no. 94, p. 200) as part of a set of Augustine on the Psalms; MS. Laud Misc. 133, fols. 90-143 contains the volume with Ps. 91-100.
Eberbach, Cistercian abbey, lent at one point to the Cistercian nunnery at Dalheim. ‘Liber sancte Marie virginie concessus sanctimonialibus in dalen’, fol. 1r, 14th century, with 'in Everbach' perhaps 15th century. For the Cistercian nunnery at Dalheim see Germania Benedictina 9: Die Männer- und Frauenklöster der Benediktiner in Rheinland-Pfalz und Saarland (1999), 426-444. Identifiable as G10 in the 1502 catalogue of Eberbach, 'Sermones augustini super psalmos Initium Breuis psalmus est' (N. Palmer, Zisterzienser und ihre Bücher (1998), p. 238). The manuscript was probably removed from Lorsch to Eberbach between 1233 and 1245 while Lorsch was administered by monks from Eberbach (Palmer, p. 18).
William Laud, acquired 1638.
Part of his third donation to the Bodleian, 1639. Former shelfmarks L. 39, E. 108 (inside cover), H. 8 (fol. 1r)
Last Substantive Revision
2022-03-24: Description revised for publication on Digital Bodleian.