A catalogue of Western manuscripts at the Bodleian Libraries and selected Oxford colleges

MS. Lyell 2

Contents

Jerome, Letters
Language(s): Latin

Physical Description

Form: codex
Support: parchment

Decoration

Initials in red and green, with some yellow wash, blue is used in addition on fols. 2, 14v, 108v. (Pächt and Alexander iii. 223)

History

Origin: 12th century, late ; English

Provenance and Acquisition

Holme Cultram, Cumberland, Cistercian abbey of St Mary the Virgin: "Liber sancte Marie de holmo" (foot of first leaf), s. xiii. "liber lxxviij" (top of first leaf), s. xv. (MLGB3: evidence from an ex-libris inscription or note of gift to an institution).

Sir Henry Lawson of Brough Hall -- gave to Rev. Dr. Scott, vicar of Catterick 1826. Marquis of Ripon at Studley Royal, Yorks.; cf. Hist. MSS. Comm. Rep. 6. 249a. Mr. J.P.R. Lyell, Abingdon, bought from R.R. Davidson (bookseller) 9, Museum Street, London (cat. 1940–41), 275£. (MLGB3)

Medieval binding, with bosses and label as on the Gwysaney MS. (q. v.). (MLGB3)

James P. R. Lyell, 1871–1948

Chosen as one of the hundred manuscripts bequeathed to the Bodleian by Lyell in 1948.

Record Sources

Summary description abbreviated from A. de la Mare, Catalogue of the Medieval Manuscripts Bequeathed to the Bodleian Library Oxford by James P. R. Lyell (1971)

Bibliography

Last Substantive Revision

2021-12-14: Add provenance information from MLGB3.