MS. Lyell 51
15th-cent. monastic binding of wooden boards covered with white leather (probably polished sheepskin) decorated with tooled panels and stamps; sewing strengthened in the middle of the quires with strips of parchment taken from MSS.; traces of a label on the upper cover.
Provenance and Acquisition
Formerly no. 596 in the library of Admont (see paper label on spine).
Sold by Admont in or after 1934 to L. and A. Brecher of Brünn; see G. Moser-Mersky, Mittelalt. Bibl.kat. Österreichs iii, 1961, p. 9.
Bought by Lyell from Davis and Orioli in April 1938; see their Cat. 79 (Nov. 1937), no. 90.
Chosen as one of the hundred manuscripts bequeathed to the Bodleian by Lyell in 1948.
Digital Bodleian (full digital facsimile)
Last Substantive Revision
2020-12-16: Andrew Dunning Revised from description by Albinia de la Mare.