MS. Lyell 60
Monastic rules, etc.
PL 30 col. 391–426. MS. Vienna Schottenstift 237, mid–15th cent., fol. 146, has the same heading.
PL 107 col. 419–40.
Other MSS. listed under no. 323 by A. Zumkeller, ‘Manuskripte … des Augustiner-Eremiten Ordens …’, Augustiniana 11 (1961), 323–4; 15 (1965), 552. He lists our MS. as MS. Melk 194 (D. 32).
Pr. S. Bonaventurae Opera Omnia, Quaracchi, viii, 1898, pp. 159–89. It is the simple version of the text, without the spurious additions. Our MS. (as Melk D. 32) was listed in the Prolegomena (p. lxv, no. 11), but not used for the edition. Munich clm. 18648, 15th cent., from Tegernsee (no. 5 and MS. D in the edition), has an identical heading.
No headings, but in the upper margin of fol. 176, above a new section beg.: Mors ascendit per fenestras vestras … Sicut per visum mors ascendit, another hand has written: ‘tractatus de custodia 5 sensuum’.
Pr. in Nycholai Dünckelspühel, Tractatus, ed. Wimpfeling, Strassbourg, 1516, no. viii, fol. 153. A few MSS., e.g., Klosterneuburg 394, dated 1446, fol. 375, attribute the work to Nicholas of Dinkelsbühl (c. 1360–1433) but many more attribute it to Ebendorfer (1388–1464); see especially Vienna, Schottenstift, MSS. 235, dated 1441, fol. 233; 268, dated 1442, fol. 219. Ours is a shorter version, found in the MSS. cited and a few others.
Most MSS. of the work, including MS. Melk 213 (E. 3), fol. 623, have a preface, beg.: ‘Quanta mala incurrant’, and end: ‘Expostulo preces pro mercede’. Some of these are listed by A. Lhotsky, Thomas Ebendorfer (M.G.H. Schriften, 15), 1957, p. 81. The treatise, with our incipit, is attributed to Ebendorfer by Joh. Trithemius, De Scriptoribus Ecclesiasticis, 1494, fol. 99v. In the description of our MS., in the fragment of the earlier Melk catalogue (Gottlieb, Mittelalt. Bibl.kat. Österreichs 1, 1915, p. 150), the title is given as: ‘Tractatus de 5 sensibus Thome de Haselpach’. In Munich clm. 18648, fol. 17, the treatise, attributed to Ebendorfer, follows the Bonaventura treatise as in our MS.
The rest of fol. 195v is left blank.
Pr. J. E. M. Vilanova, Regula Pauli et Stephani (Scripta et Documenta 11), Montserrat, 1959, pp. 109–25. The text belongs to Vilanova’s Austrian group VhKJW; see op. cit., pp. 37–8.
Ed. G. S. M. Walker, Sancti Columbarii Opera (Scriptores Latini Hiberniae, 11), 1957, pp. 122–40. Our MS. contains the shorter version which omits ch. vii and of the other version, see Walker, op. cit., pp. xlv-vi, but it does not have the extra headings for ch. 11, iii, xi, and xiii of this ‘14-chapter’ version.
PL 103 col. 447–52; P.G. 34 col. 967–70. Several Austrian MSS. with the same title as ours described by Vilanova, op. cit., pp. 23, 24, 26.
Cap. i–xiv only. Our MS. is closer to the version in the earlier edition by Cuyckius at the end of Ioh. Cassiani Opera, Antwerp (Plantin), 1578, which also ends at ch. xiv, than to the better-known version (Holstenius) in PL 103 col. 435–40; see Corbett and Masai, ‘L’édition Plantin de Cassien, de la Règle des Pères, et des Capitulaires d’Aix …’, Scriptorium 5 (1951), 60–74; A. Mundó, ‘Les anciens synodes abbatiaux et les ‘Regulae SS. Patrum>’’, Studia Anselmiana 44 (1959), 115–16.
Soon after the book was written the following items were added on leaves left blank:
Ed. A. Wiknart, ‘Les Monita de l’Abbé Porcaire’, Rev. Bén. 27 (1909), 477–80. Further MSS. listed by Vilanova, op. cit., pp. 20–31, see table following p. 34.
Ed. Walker, S. Columbani Opera, pp. 84–6, and see pp. xxxix-xlii, lxxv-lxxvi, for MSS. Our MS. is closest to his Z: Salzburg, St. Peterstift b. ix. 20, 15th cent.
PL 50 col. 836–41, etc. See Clavis. Pat. Lat., 2nd ed., 1961, no. 966, serm. 37.
PL 103 col. 451–2. Ed. Wilmart, ‘La fausse lettre latine de Macaire’, Revue d’ascétique et de mystique 3 (1922), 415–19. Our MS., like all but one of those used by Wilmart, has a lacuna in §18. The ‘letter’ is a compound of texts from St. Nilus and St. Ephrem.
MS. Zürich Rh. hist. 28 (566), 9th cent., from Reichenau, fol. 107v–124v, contains our items a–e, in the same order and with very similar headings. The front pastedown, 13th cent., 2 cols., contains the beginning (?) of a sermon on the Nativity beg.: ‘Parvulus natus est nobis, filius datus est nobis. Salomon in parjabolis[sic] desiderans huius parvuli nativitatem.’
Below, the scribe who wrote the later additions added a list of them, also with folio numbers. Another 15th-cent. hand has written, in red: ‘Mellicum omnia bona sunt laudanda’.
198 × 125 mm. : 31 long lines (45–8 in the additions) ruled in ink, except for quires 14–15 which are ruled in crayon.
Written in Austria, probably at Melk, in the mid–15th cent, by five different hands:
fol. 1–20, 196–206v a rather variable hybrid hand occasionally using loops, especially on ‘d’:
fol. 20v–33v, a current hybrid hand;
fol. 37–154, a set cursive hand (PL XXXIa);
fol. 155–169v, a hybrid hand similar to a; e fol. 109v–195v, a hybrid hand.
A sixth hand added further items in a hybrid script on leaves originally left blank, fol. 34–36v, 154r–v, 206v–207v.
Some blue or red initials flourished in contrasting colours, including figures on fols. 124v (a shepherd?), 140r (a king); other initials plain red or blue. (Pächt and Alexander i. 166)
Original binding of wooden boards covered with two pieces of white pigskin sewn together with the seam down the spine, decorated with tooled panels and stamps; five metal bosses on each cover; two metal clasps on leather straps, the upper one embossed with a Paschal Lamb, fastening to edge of upper cover; two 15th–16th-cent. parchment labels on front cover with short list of contents and shelfmark; inside, attached to the top of the spine by a piece of string, a 15th-cent. sliding parchment book-marker, with numbers and sliding square. This is quite different from the 13th–14th-cent. book-markers described by Destrez in Beiträge, Supplement-band iii (1935), 19–35.
Provenance and Acquisition
Belonged to the abbey of Melk in Austria and was almost certainly copied there. Entered in the fragment of the mid–15th-cent. Melk catalogue (Gottlieb, Mittelalt. Bibl.kat. Österreichs 1, p. 150, 1. 4–14), without the later additions (items a-e above). These are described in the 1483 catalogue, where our MS. was no. C. 76 (Gottlieb, op. cit., p. 182). The label on the front cover with the shelfmark ‘C. 54’ possibly derives from Stephan Burchard’s catalogue, begun in 1507 and finished in 1517; see Gottlieb, p. 139. On fol. 1 is the 17th cent.(?) note: ‘Monasterii Mellicensis ht. C. 54.’ No. 194 (D. 32) in Cat. Codd. MSS. Mellic. 1, 1889, pp. 270–1.
Bought by Lyell in 1938 from E. P. Goldschmidt and Co.: see his Cat. 100, no. 69.
Chosen as one of the hundred manuscripts bequeathed to the Bodleian by Lyell in 1948.
Digital Bodleian (full digital facsimile)
Last Substantive Revision
2020-12-16: Andrew Dunning Revised from description by Albinia de la Mare.