MS. Lyell 85
A Bernardinum etc., Germany, 14th century, early; B Johannes Damascenus, France, 13th century, second half
After the two parts were bound together a 15th-cent. hand added a number of items on leaves which were originally blank:
On the other side of the picture of SS. Benedict and Bernard are pieces about them headed 'Notabile dogma'
6 lines. Walther Initia, no. 2150 cites only one MS.
The first is headed: 'De septemplici consideratione dominice passionis', followed (fol. 111vb) by verses on the monastic life.
10 lines. Walther Initia, 2879
Four lines. Walter Initia, no. 16564
Walther Initia, 18341
Well preserved 15th-century Erfurt binding of wooden boards covered with goatskin originally dyed in pink, with blindstamped decoration in panels. The stamps include nos. 5, 20, 23, 26, 27 of those illustrated by P. Schwenke in plates to 'Die Buchbinderei des Petersklosters', Beitrag to Theele, Die Handscriften des Benedicktinerklosters S. Petri zu Erfurt (1920), pp. 38-45, and some other small stamps not illustrated by him, notably a 'free' four-petalled flower, and a fleur-de-lis. Two clasps on leather straps, fastening on the upper cover. There were originally four bosses on the upper cover and five on the lower, of which one remains; marks of a chain fixed to the inside of the back cover. On the spine is written: 'flores b. bern:' (15th century). MSS. Hamilton 17 and 36 have similar titles on their spines.
Parchment tags in part 1.
Provenance and Acquisition
St. Peter's, Erfurt: see binding, and note on fol. 2; 15th(?)-century pressmarks 'M XLV', 'N XX⟨X erased⟩' (fol. 1r), and on fol. 2 (18th century): 'Liber regalis monasterii S. Petri Erfodiae [erased]'; another inscription, completely erased, on the front pastedown, and on the end pastedown: 'v. lib. c. xvj [?erased]'. Identifiable as Hs. in quarto 4 in the St. Peter's catalogue of 1786 (ed. Theele, Die Hss. des Benediktinerklosters S. Petri zu Erfurt (Zentralblatt für Bibliothekswesen, Beiheft XLVIII), 1920, p. 67).
Gräfische Stolbergische Bibliothek, Wernigerode: MS. Za. 9, see Ruland in Serapeum XVI (1855), II, no. 52 and E. Förstemann, Die Gräflich Stolbergische Bibliothek zu Wernigerode, 1866, pp. 75-76.
A. Rosenthal, bookseller: bought from him by James P. R. Lyell.
Chosen as one of the hundred manuscripts bequeathed to the Bodleian by Lyell in 1948.
Digital Bodleian (2 images from 35mm slides)
Last Substantive Revision
2020-03-26: Description revised for Polonsky digitization project to include additional information from printed descriptions.