MS. Rawl. B. 505
Summary Catalogue no.: 11852
- Type initial I
- Subject Gold initial with half-figure of St Berachus, with crosier, before an altar with chalice, in architectural frame (Life of St Berachus).
- Blue initial on red and gold background, decorated with coiled tendrils with flowers and leaves extending into margins on fol. 184.
- Red and blue initials, usually on contrasting blue or red background, decorated with geometric, floral, zoomorphic and anthropomorphic penwork designs. Black penwork initials. Initials with human figures, heads of men and women, and animal heads are on fols. 2v, 4v, 12v, 25r, 44r, 49v, 67r, 70r, 83r and 124v.
- Catchwords, decorated with geometric and floral designs, grotesques, human and animal heads.
- Initials, formed by bodies of beasts and grotesques, or decorated with interlace and animal heads on fols. 211–220.
Provenance and Acquisition
Bequeathed to the Bodleian in 1755
Last Substantive Revision
2019-10-31: Toby Burrows/Mapping Manuscript MigrationsProvenance and acquisition information added using https://github.com/mapping-manuscript-migrations/oxford-tei-updates/blob/master/update_oxford_prov.rb in collaboration with the Mapping Manuscript Migrations project.