A catalogue of Western manuscripts at the Bodleian Libraries and selected Oxford colleges

MS. Top. Kent d. 3

Summary Catalogue no.: Not in SC (late accession)

Contents

Cartulary of St. Laurence's Hospital, Canterbury (Davis, Medieval Cartularies, no. 210)
(fol. 1r)
Rubric: Reformacio facta per ... dominum Thomam Dei gracia abbatem sancti Augustini Cant. xii kalendas Martii anno Domini MoCC nonagesimo quarto

twenty-four chapters of rules

(fol. 3v)
Rubric: Addiciones facte per dominum Thomam Colewelle abbatem monasterii supradicti in visitacione sua facta ... vi die Augusti anno Domini MoCCCmoLVIo

twelve additions

(fol. 5r)

Oath of chastity and obedience to the abbot of St. Augustine's.

(fol. 5r)

Short account of the foundation of the house and grant of land by abbot Hugh for the building.

(fol. 6r)

Confirmation by Popes Eugenius III, Celestine IV, Honorius IV, and archbishop Edmund , of benefactions made to the monastery.

(fol. 7v)

Grant by Abbot Roger (1253-74).

(fol. 8r)
Rubric: Forma observanda cum aliqua mulier velanda fuerit
(fol. 9r)

Confirmations by Popes Celestine III, Honorius III, Alexander IV, and Honorius IV, of benefaction to the monastery

(fol. 11r)

Rule, in English, of which an inaccurate transcript is pr. C. E. Woodruff, Archaeologia cantiana, 50 (1939), 39-45.

(fol. 14r)

Liveries

(fol. 15r)

Grant of the church of St. Mary, Stodmarsh, to the hospital of Poor Priests, Canterbury, by the abbot and monks of St. Augustine's, and decisions of William Hunden, commissary general (appointed 1397; see Irene Josephine Churchill, Canterbury administration: the administrative machinery of the Archbishopric of Canterbury illustrated from original records (London, 1933), I, 60), regarding tithe cases concerning the hospital of St. Lawrence.

(fol. 17r)

List of benefactions since the foundation.

(fol. 20r)

Rental.

(fol. 20v)

Deeds, arranged in no apparent order, written in various hands.

(fol. 48r)

Miscellaneous notes on tenements.

Two other copies of this cartulary are Cambridge, Univ. Lib. MS. Add. 6845 (Davis 211) and Canterbury, Dean and Chapter Muniments C.20 (Davis 212), the latter described by Woodruff, art. cit.

Language(s): Latin, English

Physical Description

Form: codex
Support: parchment
Extent: ii + 50 leaves
Dimensions (leaf): 230 × 175 mm.
Dimensions (written): 175 × 135 mm.

Collation

1(8), 2(8), 3(12)(wants 6 and 7), 4(2), 5 missing, 6(8), 7(8), 8(6)(1 canc.)

Layout

26 long lines, fol.1 – 7v

30 – 36 long lines, fol.8 – 48v

Decoration

Plain red initials, fol. 1-7v.

Binding

16th-century English calf with a stamped panel divided into compartments containing alternately a portcullis, a rose, fleur-de-lis, and the initials 'H.R.' (see J. Basil Oldham, Shrewsbury school library bindings: catalogue raisonné (Oxford, 1943), pp. 12, 13, and pl. 46, roll. 37).

History

Origin: 14th century, late ; English, Canterbury

Provenance and Acquisition

W. Shaw Mason, his sale, Sotheby's 27 Nov. 1830, part of lot 1094

Duke of Newcastle, Sotheby's 15 Feb. 1938, lot 1145

Bought from Quaritch, 1938.

Record Sources

Typescript description by Bodleian Library staff