Merton College MS. 150
Former shelfmark: M. 3. 1
HUGH OF ST CHER; S. XV (before 1466)
fol. iii blank; on the verso are titles in hands of s. xvi and xvii
Pr. Basel 1504; Stegmüller, Bibl. 3631, 3633, 3635, 3637, 3639, 3641, 3644, 3646.
Ruled with fine pencil in 2 cols of 60 lines.
Written in the elegant upright bookhand of the professional scribe Henry Mere, lemmata in larger script, its body occupying two lines of the gloss, with an intervening line for ascenders and descenders. At the foot of fol. 200v Mere has written ‘Item recepi pro istis septem quaternis xxiii s.’ M. B. Parkes, ‘A fifteenth-century scribe: Henry Mere’, BLR 6 (1961), 654–9; DHL, no. 101.
Books open with handsome large initials, typical English professional work of the period: on fol. 1 9-line P with coloured foliage on a square gold ground, with 3-sided border; smaller initials in gold with white tracery on pink and blue grounds, sprays of green leaves and gold bezants in the margins (champes) on fols. 84, 102v, 122v, 140v, 166v, 181, 198. Blue initials flourished with red; red running heads on specially ruled lines, with blue paraphs; red underlining.
s. xix, sewn on five bands. Fols. i-ii and 201–2 are paper binding-leaves.
Provenance and Acquisition
At the head of fol. iiiv is ‘Liber domus scolarium de Merton ex dono magistri Henrici Seuer sacre pagine professoris ac eiusdem domus custodis incathenatus ad communem usum sociorum in libraria studere uolencium anno Domini M. CCCC. lxvi’. For Henry Sever, warden 1455–71, see MS 6.
On the same leaf is ‘O. 5. 1. Art:’, s. xvii. Inside the front board is the College bookplate with ‘O. 5. 2’, canc. and replaced with ‘M. 3. 1 (CLI)’ in red. ‘1’ is inked on the foredge.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.
Funding of Cataloguing
Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .
Last Substantive Revision
2019-06-21: First online publication