A catalogue of Western manuscripts at the Bodleian Libraries and selected Oxford colleges

Merton College MS. 152

Former shelfmark: M. 3. 3

HUGH OF ST CHER; S. XV (before 1466)

Contents

Language(s): Latin

(fols. 1–181v)
HUGH OF ST CHER, Postills on the Psalter II, Pss. 51–150.
Incipit: Quid gloriaris in malicia. Titulus in finem intellectus Dauid
Explicit: uite eterne uox est Omnis spiritus laudet Dominum amen. Deo gracias.

Apparatus of marginal notes provided by the scribe. Other notes and corrections in contemporary anglicana and secretary hands.

Pr. Basel 1504; Stegmüller, Bibl. 3675.

Physical Description

Secundo Folio: uentri bene
Form: codex
Support: Parchment
Extent: 313 leaves (ii + 311)
Dimensions (leaf): 395 × 285 mm.
Dimensions (written): 310 × 185 mm.
The edges slightly retrimmed at the head, and stained yellow.

Collation

1–388, 398(6–8 canc.); catchwords; quire-signatures of the usual late medieval form. The quires numbered at the beginning, s. xvii.

Layout

Ruled with fine pencil in 2 cols of 60 lines.

Hand(s)

The hand of MS 151 (an elegant Continental bookhand similar to that of MS 150 but angled forward).

Decoration

As for MS 150 (large initials, typical English professional work of the period): fols. 3 (Ps. 52), 59v (Ps. 68), 124 (Ps. 80), 185 (Ps. 96), 239 (Ps. 109) 5–7-line initials with 3-sided borders; on fols. 1, 192v (Ps. 101) 8–9-line blue initials on a square ground of red flourishing; blue initials flourished in red; red marginal auctoritates, highlighting, and underlining of scriptural passages, running heads on or between ruled lines.

Binding

Standard Merton s. xvii; sewn on five bands; formerly chained from the usual position. Fols. i-ii, 310–11 are paper binding-leaves, the outermost from the same printed book as in MS 19.

History

Origin: S. XV (before 1466) ; England (?)

Provenance and Acquisition

Pasted to the foot of fol. 1 is a strip of parchment doubtless from a lost front flyleaf, with Henry Sever’s ex dono, as in MS 150.

On fol. iiv is a title, s. xvii, and ‘O. 5. 3. Art:’, canc. and replaced with ‘M. 3. 3 (CLII)’ in red. ‘3’ is inked on the foredge. Inside the front board is the College bookplate.

Record Sources

R. M. Thomson, A descriptive catalogue of the medieval manuscripts of Merton College, Oxford (Cambridge: D. S. Brewer), 2009.

Availability

For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Merton College Library.

Bibliography

    Coxe, p. 64; Powicke, no. 947; Alexander & Temple, no. 584.

Funding of Cataloguing

Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Warden and Fellows of Merton College .

Last Substantive Revision

2019-06-21: First online publication