Summary of Contents: Exeter College MSS 51–68, most of the texts in which are by or attributed to Hugo de Sancto Caro, were produced in Oxford for Roger Keys, d. 1477, whose many positions included the visitorship of Exeter College (1442), the wardenship of All Souls College (1443–5), the archdeaconry of Barnstaple (1450), and the precentorship of Exeter Cathedral (1459) (see BRUO, ‘Keyes’). His arms are found in the borders of several of the manuscripts (although others have been excised) and several manuscripts include a long ex dono inscription (see MS 53) recording his gift of the books to the rector and fellows of Exeter College on 1 January 1469/70. On Hugo de Sancto Caro see E. Mangenot, Dictionnaire de théologie catholique, vii (Paris, 1921), 221–308. For two other great series of illuminated volumes produced in Oxford contemporaneously with these, then and now at Balliol College and Merton College, see K. L. Scott, ‘Two series of dated illuminated manuscripts made in Oxford 1450–64’, Watson Essays, 43–69. So far as is known from the incomplete series of dated colophons and the ex dono inscription, the manuscripts were written between 1452 and the late 1460s, but it is probable that they were delivered to the College singly or in twos or threes; a 1458 entry in the Rector’s Accounts records payments to John Godysson, stationer, for providing chains for three volumes of the set (Boase1, 21, Boase2, 40). Another series of entries in the Rector’s Accounts reveals, however, that MS 68 and another, probably MS 60, were not completed until after Keys’s death, between 1480 and 1484, perhaps for lack of money until that was supplied by M. John Combe (see Watson, Exeter, p. 85, and MS 68, History). In the whole series three principal scribes took part, assisted by several others in the last volume, MS 68. Four artists shared the illumination of the borders (and some of them also the spray decoration and small initials). For detailed analysis, see Watson, Exeter, pp. 85–87.
, Comm. Ezech.
Rubric: [Above] Hugo de Vienna: super Ezechielem. Prologus.
Incipit: Apocalipsis viiiº. Vidi et audivi vocem unius aquile ... [fol. 2v] ... Et factum est. Istud capitulum exponitur primo ymaginarie
Explicit: fuerunt ordinate a Moyse in Numeris. Et hoc satis patet ex glosis.
Stegmüller, Bibl., 3696.
Secundo Folio: anno quinto.
Support: parchment FHHF
199 leaves, preceded and followed by one 18th-century paper flyleaf
Dimensions (leaf): 420 × 270 mm.
Dimensions (column): 285 × 80 mm.
1–248 258 (wants 8, blank). Catchwords by the scribe; no quire signatures or numbers.
Two columns, 60 lines. Ruled in crayon.
Of the same type as in MS 51 but by Artist A, for a characterization of whose work see Watson, Exeter, pp. 85–87.
On fol. 1r is an illuminated border incorporating Roger Keys’s arms.
Stamped leather bindings over square-edged wooden boards, (presumably) rebound; stamp used was employed in Oxford between 1535 and 1621, here in the second phase state, probably c. 1605–10. Two straps held by nails. Refurbished in the 19th century (1839?): that volumes were resewn is indicated by the very tight binding, which makes collation difficult, and by the provision of new endbands; edges were stained red; book was reinforced by pasting long strips of canvas round the spine and attached to the boards, and the old spines were replaced. Sewn on eight bands. For other details see Watson, Exeter, p. 87.
Provenance and Acquisition
An inscription recording Roger Keys’s donation to the college, as in MS 53 and others, was probably on a discarded preliminary leaf. For 1453 or 1454 as the suggested date of writing see Watson, Exeter, pp. 85–87.
Exeter library identifications are: on the front pastedown, bookplate 3, and on it ‘173–F–9’, deleted and replaced by ‘213.E.10’, and ‘Coxe LIX’ (pencil).