Exeter College MS. 153
Statuta, 1–23 Henrici VI, A. D. 1422–1442; London?, England, s. xv¾
Pr. SR ii. 213–16.
Fols. 1r–2r are blank; for fol. 2v see History.
Pr. SR ii. 216–27.
Pr. SR ii. 227–8.
Pr. SR ii. 229–32.
Pr. SR ii. 232–8.
Pr. SR ii. 238–62. The original ending, 1¼ lines in all, is on fol. 35r but it was written again in the same hand although in different ink at the foot of fol. 28v after the insertion of item 7 following, a quire of six leaves inserted between fol. 28 and the present fol. 35.
Pr. SR ii. 263–72. Fol. 34v is blank.
Many of the statutes concern weights and measures, liveries, and artificers and labourers; others concern riots, flight of offenders, vagabonds, etc. The heading, properly that of the next item, is ‘Incipiunt Statuta de anno decimo Henrici Sexti edita.’
Pr. SR ii. 272–7.
Pr. SR ii. 278–88.
Pr. SR ii. 289–94.
Pr. SR ii. 295–300.
Pr. SR ii. 301–15.
Pr. SR ii. 315–25.
Pr. SR ii. 326–43.
One column, c. 32–38 lines. Frame ruled in crayon.
Five or six secretary hands, all with anglicana elements. The scribal stints do not always correspond to the beginnings and ends of groups of statutes.
None. Spaces were left for initials.
Sewn on five bands between wooden boards covered with blind-stamped calf, s. xv4/4 (not identifiable in Oldham, EBSB). The pattern is of the ‘all-over’ type described by G. Pollard, ‘The names of some English fifteenth-century binders’, The Library, 5th ser. 25 (1970), 193–218, used in London, Oxford, Cambridge, and Salisbury, mostly before 1475. The thongs are brought in through tunnels in the edges of the boards. On the front cover are the remains of two straps, each held by three tacks, and on the back cover are the remains of two clasps.
Provenance and Acquisition
Probably written in London?
At the top of fol. 3r are ‘Doto[sic]: Jones 1642’ and ‘Lucy Jones 1641’. On a label on the spine, on fols. 1r and 2v is ‘76’ (on fol. 2v followed by a title and ‘vide Catal: G. Glynne Barti:’) (all s. xviii): these refer to the catalogue of the library of Sir William Glynne (CMA ii. 49–54, no. 2000. 76), the majority of whose manuscripts came to Exeter by bequest of Joseph Sandford: see MS 87, History.
Exeter library identifications are, on fol. 1r, ‘Cox[sic] CLIII’ and on a label on the spine ‘13’. On the front pastedown are the book stamp and ‘MS. 153’.
For enquiries relating to this manuscript please contact Exeter College Library.
Funding of Cataloguing
Conversion of the printed catalogue to TEI funded by the Rector and Fellows of Exeter College.
Last Substantive Revision
2020-04-29: First online publication