A catalogue of Western manuscripts at the Bodleian Libraries and selected Oxford colleges

MS. Bodl. 756

Summary Catalogue no.: 2526

Contents

Physical Description

Form: codex
Support: parchment

Binding

White leather on worm-eaten boards, clasp lost, English 15th cent. work.

History

Origin: 11th century

Provenance and Acquisition

Salisbury, Wiltshire, Cathedral church of St Mary the Virgin; see removed from Sherborne in 1078: '2. Liber Bibliothecae Saresburiensis' (s. xvii). The same scribe s. xii wrote the letters 'D.M.' as a 'nota bene' sign in the margins of Aberdeen UL 216, Bodl. 392, 444 (fols. 1--27), 756, 765, 768, 835; Fell 1, 4; Rawl. C.723; Salisbury Cath. 10, 24, 25, 37, 67, 78, 88, 106, 128, 129, 135, 140, 154, 159, 165. (MLGB3: evidence from marginalia, sometimes distinctive of a particular house or known scribe).

Bodley 516, 698, 756, 765, 768, 835 belonged to Salisbury cathedral in s. xvii in. Medieval binding. 'B' at head of fol. 1r. Chainmark at foot of 1st cover in the centre; another at foot of second cover. (MLGB3)

Record Sources

Summary description abbreviated from the Summary Catalogue (1922).

Digital Images

Digital Bodleian (1 image from 35mm slides)

Bibliography

Last Substantive Revision

2022-04-04: Add binding information from Summary Catalogue.