MS. Lat. th. d. 46
Summary Catalogue no.: Not in SC (late accession): no full description available
The text corresponds to the pr. ed. only as far as fol. 30v l. 23: PL 32: 1021-6.
In the form of a dialogue between Augustine and Adeodatus, lacking the last leaf (pr. PL 32: 1035, the MS. breaking off imperfect at 32: 1078)
starting imperfect (pr. PL 52: 1101(MS. starts at l. 21)-1116
31 (occasionally 30) lines, above top line; in 1 column
Apparently by a single Winchcombe scribe throughout
Contemporary binding. Sewn on three split tawed leather thongs, which enter the bevelled wood boards through their outer face, run along channels in their inner face, and are attached with wood pegs; the boards covered with rough white leather, with a single clasp, closing from fron to lower cover; the lower cover with a rectangular parchment title-piece, attached with nine nails under a sheet of translucent horn (somewhat damaged), inscribed in neat gothic script 'In hoc volumine continentur multa par|va opera sancti augustini quod quidem volu|men pertinet ad wincelcombense | monasterium'; a rectangular recess with nail-hole near the bottom of the fore-edge on the inner face of the upper board, may be evidence of a chain-staple, or of re-use of the board. Boxed.
Provenance and Acquisition
Written at Winchcombe Abbey, with an ex-libris inscription
Cope family, Bramshill, Hants., by 1772 (listed in the library catalogue, Bodleian, MS. Eng. misc. c. 307, page 150, item 7)
Sir Anthony Cope, Bt., his sale, Sotheby's 4 March 1913, lot 9, bought by Leighton for £7 5s.
Harmsworth Trust sale at Sotheby's, 15 Oct. 1945, lot 1895, bought by Maggs for £360
Mrs. J. H. Dent-Brocklehurst, Sudeley Castle, Gloucestershire
Given to the Gloucester Diocesan Trust, and sold for their benefit at Sotheby's 11 Dec. 1979, lot 46, bought by Quaritch for the Bodleian.