MS. Rawl. Q. a. 1
Summary Catalogue no.: Not in Summary Catalogue (late accession)
Blank except for Hearne's notes and pressmarks. Fol. 1r: ‘Suum cuique Tho: Hearne’, ‘E. Pr. 184’, ‘MS. 93’. Fol. 76v: ‘Things relating to Hereford’.
Provenance and Acquisition
Hereford Cathedral. Many items are clearly strays from series now in Hereford Cathedral Library and Archives, formerly in the National Library of Wales, and calendared in National Register of Archives NRA 6186; most items relate to the Dean and Chapter estates, although part 29 concerns the bishop's estates. The separation may have occurred while the dean and chapter archives were in London between 1649 and 1661 (B. Smith in Hereford Cathedral: A History, ed. Gerald Aylmer and John Tiller (2000), p. 548).]
Thomas Hearne, presumably acquired between 1677 (date of part 27) and 1709. Parts 1–29 are catalogued as such under MS. 93 in Hearne's catalogue of 1709 (MS. Rawl. D. 1168, pp. 143–146). The contents of a companion volume of Hereford documents, Hearne's MS. 92, cannot all be traced, but most items are identifiable in Bodleian Library, MSS. Ch. Heref. and MSS. Rolls Heref. Part 30 perhaps acquired by Hearne after 1709, if it is part of his collection and not a later addition.
James Bellamy (1819–1909), President of St John's College, Oxford; found among his books after his death (R. L. Poole in English Historical Review 28/111 (1913) p. 446)
Donated in November 1916 by the President and Fellows of St. John's College (note in the Bodleian library handlist, p. 214). Given the Summary Catalogue number 37443, now superseded (note by Richard Hunt in his copy of S.C. III.423). Formerly MS. Rawl. Q. b. 8.